Arvia TA (K301a) - initial thoughts

TigerB

15 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Thanks for your understanding; yes, I totally agree with all you say.

Our daughter has hidden disabilities, as does my niece; with the latter those include fibromyalgia. And yes, both have been 'called out' in certain situations, both by able-bodied folk and those with obviously physical disabilities. So, I know exactly what you mean.

Even my wife and have been the subject of glares, mainly from elderly people, when we pull into a disabled parking bay; they would see two people in their fifties and probably think that we weren't entitled to park in such a bay.  On one occasion in Tesco car park at the back end of last year, an elderly fella actually got out of his car and stood alongside it, staring at our dashboard, no doubt waiting for the the blue badge to go on. Her blue badge is in a metal frame through which a cycle lock is inserted, and that in turn is used to secure her wheelchair in the boot.  On seeing this fella, my wife and I chatted for a couple of minutes before I nonchalantly walked to the back of the car, unlocked my wife's wheelchair, and helped her into it, as I wished him a good morning; no response! He was still stood there until I actually put the blue badge on the dashboard. Cruel of us I know, but fun all the same!😉

We’ve had the same issue in Blue Badge spaces. My wife’s disability started to affect her badly in her late 40’s, early 50’s (although she would have had what would now be described as ‘hidden disability’ initially) but has been a full time wheelchair user since mid 50’s. The ones who glare are often those who have acquired a blue badge due to age related infirmity, rather than life changing disabilities in mid-life. Like you, I will take my time whilst they continue to glare and then it’s funny how they look away awkwardly when I unload the wheelchair. 

In all honesty, we find that 99% of cruise passengers are very considerate to wheelchair users, but we’ve not been on Iona or Arvia yet! We have had people jump in front of us to get in a lift and disembarkation day is a nightmare. Like you, after a 20 minute wait with countless packed lifts, I have asked a whether anyone is able to manage the stairs, but nobody has ever offered to alight, even if they only have light hand luggage. We have had to resort to going up in order to come back down. 

It is also true that some wheelchair users (and pushers) can be very rude though, expecting the crowds to part before them like Moses with the Red Sea. I just use “excuse us please” and that usually suffices. My wife often says “sorry” when people have to move to one side when we get in a lift (people don’t realise that lining up along the back doesn’t work) but I try to dissuade her as most people are quite understanding and those who aren’t certainly don’t deserve an apology. 

The worst example that we saw of rude wheelchair users was on Aurora, where a chap had fitted a loud horn to his wife’s wheelchair and sounded it regularly as he was trying to make his way through crowds. I saw the funny side of it and whenever my wife criticised my wheelchair piloting I would threaten to get one, but my wife was horrified and insisted that we never went near them or in a lift with them 😂 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We’ve had the same issue in Blue Badge spaces. My wife’s disability started to affect her badly in her late 40’s, early 50’s (although she would have had what would now be described as ‘hidden disability’ initially) but has been a full time wheelchair user since mid 50’s. The ones who glare are often those who have acquired a blue badge due to age related infirmity, rather than life changing disabilities in mid-life. Like you, I will take my time whilst they continue to glare and then it’s funny how they look away awkwardly when I unload the wheelchair. 

In all honesty, we find that 99% of cruise passengers are very considerate to wheelchair users, but we’ve not been on Iona or Arvia yet! We have had people jump in front of us to get in a lift and disembarkation day is a nightmare. Like you, after a 20 minute wait with countless packed lifts, I have asked a whether anyone is able to manage the stairs, but nobody has ever offered to alight, even if they only have light hand luggage. We have had to resort to going up in order to come back down. 

It is also true that some wheelchair users (and pushers) can be very rude though, expecting the crowds to part before them like Moses with the Red Sea. I just use “excuse us please” and that usually suffices. My wife often says “sorry” when people have to move to one side when we get in a lift (people don’t realise that lining up along the back doesn’t work) but I try to dissuade her as most people are quite understanding and those who aren’t certainly don’t deserve an apology. 

The worst example that we saw of rude wheelchair users was on Aurora, where a chap had fitted a loud horn to his wife’s wheelchair and sounded it regularly as he was trying to make his way through crowds. I saw the funny side of it and whenever my wife criticised my wheelchair piloting I would threaten to get one, but my wife was horrified and insisted that we never went near them or in a lift with them 😂 

You may find Cunard a little easier on disembarkation days.  When I sailed with my mother one lift was designated wheelchair only and you were invited to either go to a special area with other users or on our last cruise before she died wait in your cabin until your disembarkation time.

I understand the latter has remained in force through the post pandemic so hopefully will continue.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We try and be considerate to wheelchair users. We don't know that they want to be where my foot is. I'm sorry I jumped the wrong way, I didn't know there was another wheel chair right behind me banging into my heels. I thought the beep,beep,beep was somebodies pager for their dinner table, not a reversing scooter going over my toes.Do they look when reversing. just like they do in the car park ?.Perhaps being a little patient with us sorry folk who don't know the etiquette, rather than tut, tutting us may help. I use the lift when I'm knackered and need to go up 6 decks . Sorry ,I didn't know a wheelchair would be outside when the door opened.  ...give me a minute to get out...I'm trying...tut tutting won't help...mind me flipping toes.😁

• Like 2

On my latest 5 weeks on Iona I encountered a new to me breed of passenger the "press the doors closed immediately folks". I am always so careful to help obviously disabled folks. I do have a hidden disability now seeing me off but it is no problem just to wait I'm doing nothing but being on holiday and soon enough I will get a lift and I have much more choice than a wheelchair user who needs a significant amount of space. The "get the door closed" folks severely reduce the number of lifts available. They did not give a stuff about anyone other than them. If they were accessing a lift once they were in doors closed was pressed. If a lift they were already in stopped you were very lucky to access it before they pressed doors closed. One night going up to Epicurean it was just one man and myself I swear he almost beat the world land speed record pressing doors closed my posh frock got caught in the door. I finally cracked and chewed his ear off but his answer was well I'm in a rush to get to the Crow's Nest. The air did turn a little blue while I pontificated just why that was so important and he looked at me like a mad woman and hopped off at at Floor 9. 

22 hours ago, TigerB said:

In another post I wrote about folk I could hear complaining about the most trivial things; lack of coasters on the tables in the bars and atriums being one thing.

Actually this one really bugs me. To the point I might consider taking my own beer mats in future. However did I queue up at reception about it no. However I think people have a right to make know what is spoiling their enjoyment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chrish2 said:

Actually this one really bugs me. To the point I might consider taking my own beer mats in future. However did I queue up at reception about it no. However I think people have a right to make know what is spoiling their enjoyment.

My wife has one particular dress which cost more than an average ex UK inside 7 night cruise and I for one would be livid if drips from a glass ruined it due to not having coasters 🤬

5 hours ago, devonuk said:

My wife has one particular dress which cost more than an average ex UK inside 7 night cruise and I for one would be livid if drips from a glass ruined it due to not having coasters 🤬

You could always ask the waiter ' can you bring a coaster please'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

You could always ask the waiter ' can you bring a coaster please'.

Do they have them onboard? I was under the impression it's not the staff not bring them out by default but P&O scrapped them entirely.

24 minutes ago, Chrish2 said:

Do they have them onboard? I was under the impression it's not the staff not bring them out by default but P&O scrapped them entirely.

Sorry, I don't know. We were last on a P&O ship in October. We have lots of pleasant memories, but coasters, or lack of, has passed me by. I'll look through my photos.  I'm sure I would have taken a picture. If not ,We are on Azura at the end of next week. I'll take a picture. At least I will have a remedy......no coasters Gromit.🤣

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry, I don't know. We were last on a P&O ship in October. We have lots of pleasant memories, but coasters, or lack of, has passed me by. I'll look through my photos.  I'm sure I would have taken a picture. If not ,We are on Azura at the end of next week. I'll take a picture. At least I will have a remedy......no coasters Gromit.🤣

Ps.

Britannia in October and Hard Rock in Barcelona.  Proper coaster on P&O..I didn't ask, it must have just appeared...magic ?20221005_185047.thumb.jpg.8224ded06dffc48948df482e4a7f1d5b.jpg

20221012_193156.jpg

20221011_131734.jpg

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smj777 said:

We take our own beer mats now because the paper coasters are useless and stick to the bottom of the glass all the time. We also take a swizzle stick since they have been discontiued. Sad or what?

Like this one?

image.png.dd74c6800a75242c2829a500b234c199.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

If they gave me that. I would kick up a real stink. That's a beer mat, not a coaster.......wrong coaster Gromit.🤣

I was going from what smj777 wrote, who appears to prefer beer mats. Obviously, not as posh as you! 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, devonuk said:

Ideal for propping up wobbly tables IMHO 😉

Well, every season we do end up at some point propping up whichever league we are in; so, fair point really.🙄

Edited by TigerB
  • Haha 1