Advice on coupon vs. onboard credit

I'll be on the Grandeur April 3 and would like to make reservations for the Mariner in October. There is a current C&A coupon for $125 good for this cruise, but it expires Mar 31. I would like to make reservations on board to get the $100 credit, but at that point, coupon has expired.

I called RCCL C&A customer service to see what my options were, but they weren't much help. (I think they lock them in a room somewhere with no information or resources, but that makes for a whole other topic). They told me I would have to choose which one I would rather have. I asked if he knew when new coupons would be available - He didn't. He told me I could check their new online magazine to see if there were any there (He was the C&A help line; shouldn't he know?). I haven't been able to find any.

I asked if I could make the reservation now, then cancel later and rebook onboard if a new coupon was issued and was told' "Yeah, I guess you could do that." He didn't exactly make me feel comfortable that this would be allowed.

Anybody else ever do this? Will they let you cancel a reservation (early enough to not be a problem), then rebook the same cruise onboard?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

I don't think you can cancel a cruise while on board. The Loyalty Ambassador on Vision wouldn't let us anyway. We booked a Transatlantic early in the cruise and late in the cruise decided we would rather do Alaska again. We had to wait until we were home to cancel the TA.

Maybe since you would be rebooking the same cruise it would be different. Hopefully someone else can give you amore definitive answer.

I would take the onboard credit booking while you're onboard. You have until the final payment to submit those coupons so you may find one in the next isuue of the C and A. Keep the coupon you have and send it in with your final payment. They might take it if you are sailing with them on the dates the coupon is good for.

I don't think you can cancel a cruise while on board. The Loyalty Ambassador on Vision wouldn't let us anyway. We booked a Transatlantic early in the cruise and late in the cruise decided we would rather do Alaska again. We had to wait until we were home to cancel the TA.

Maybe since you would be rebooking the same cruise it would be different. Hopefully someone else can give you amore definitive answer.

My thinking was that I would reserve now and send in the coupon before it expired, but if a new coupon with a later expiration date came out, I would cancel before the April cruise and then rebook on board with the new coupon .

Karyn8's idea also sounds like a good plan.

Thank you both.

New online C&A mag won't have coupons til Apr. & if you have one now it's doubtful there will be another one for the same sailing then. Don't they come out with totally diff. coupons each mag? $125 is better than the $100 on board booking credit [obviously] so I would book w/that now.

Yes if that did happen you could cancel the old reservation & rebook but if you want a specific cabin you may not get it by then. You can always cancel before final payment on either or both reserv.

While we were onboard the Serenade of the Sea's in August we booked our next cruise, while onboard we decided to change it to another ship and it was done while we were onboard. Maybe this was because I had RCI hold the cruises instead of turning it over to may TA. Also when we got home I found a coupon in the C&A mag to save another $125.00 call RCI all I had to was fax them the coupon. I called a few days later and the credit was applied. Hope this helps.

I would give the coupon to the loyalty ambassador on board and see what she can do since it is only a few days after the expiration. Tell her you were hesitent to book before you spoke with someone personally on board to finalize the cruise. She can deduct the coupon right then and there.

I would book it now... there could be an increase in price for that cruise between now and when you cruise on Grandeur. There was just a price drop for our October cruise on Mariner and I'm sure that once they sell a certain amount of cabins, the price will go back up....

I'm not certain about being able to cancel onboard if you book now and find that you'll do better later by booking onboard, but does it really matter? If the loyalty ambassader isn't able to handle the cancellation, you can always cancel when you get home. If you use "my cruises" on the RCCL site, you can even cancel online.... it's super easy. The only downside would be that you would have made 2 deposits until you were refunded the one for the cruise you cancel.

Have you checked the prices on your October cruise because there are some specials on right now. I will attach a link to one of the flyers for the fall cruises. The problem if you wait ontil you are on board you may pay more.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/royal/Caribbean/Flyers/SL06-123656_Multi_CAR.pdf

What I find is that the best time to book is in late May when the next years cruises are being released, you get the best prices. If you are thinking of sailing next year as well, book a short 3 day cruise for April of 2007 while you are on the ship with a 100 deposit pp. Then later in May or June when next years cruises are released you can switch your reservation to what you really want, just make sure that they use your existing reservation number and the on board credit will stay with you.

hope that helps you

Brian J

I would book both. Book now, using the coupon, then book on board, getting the onboard credit. When the new coupons come out, if your sailing is included in the new coupons, cancell original booking, otherwise, cancell your onboard booking. In both cases, you will be refunded your downpayment, and know you got the best deal you could. Just be sure the TA you use for the initial booking doesn't charge cancellation/change fees.

Archived