Viking River Cruise - Lyon & Provence questions

sboh

I’m thinking of taking my first river cruise and am interested in this itinerary but have a few questions:

1) I’ve read about water level issues but most refer to the Rhine and Danube, does the Rhône have similar issues? I’m looking at a late June (2024) sailing.
2) Does it make a difference if I select northbound or southbound? I prefer northbound because I’d like to do the 2-night Aix-En-Provence extension pre-cruise. I have taken several coach tours in Europe and I always go a day or two early but never stay longer, when it’s over I’m usually ready to go home.

3) The ships I’m looking at are the Buri or the Delling, any differences between the two? They appear identical, is that true of decor too? If you’ve sailed either one, your impressions?

4) The two dates I’m looking at have different start dates (Sunday or Wednesday), one would put me in Aix and Lyon on Fridays and Saturdays and the other on Mondays and Tuesdays, is one better than the other. I’m thinking it would be nicer on the weekends?

5) How is the lavender the last two weeks of June. I’m not planning to take a separate tour but would I see it while traveling around to/from the ship, on excursions?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

6 hours ago, sboh said:

I’m thinking of taking my first river cruise and am interested in this itinerary but have a few questions:

1) I’ve read about water level issues but most refer to the Rhine and Danube, does the Rhône have similar issues? I’m looking at a late June (2024) sailing.
2) Does it make a difference if I select northbound or southbound? I prefer northbound because I’d like to do the 2-night Aix-En-Provence extension pre-cruise. I have taken several coach tours in Europe and I always go a day or two early but never stay longer, when it’s over I’m usually ready to go home.

3) The ships I’m looking at are the Buri or the Delling, any differences between the two? They appear identical, is that true of decor too? If you’ve sailed either one, your impressions?

4) The two dates I’m looking at have different start dates (Sunday or Wednesday), one would put me in Aix and Lyon on Fridays and Saturdays and the other on Mondays and Tuesdays, is one better than the other. I’m thinking it would be nicer on the weekends?

5) How is the lavender the last two weeks of June. I’m not planning to take a separate tour but would I see it while traveling around to/from the ship, on excursions?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Sailed the Rhône twice and have visited Provence twice outside river cruising. 

1) The Rhône as a rule isn't impacted by the seasonal water levels. It is a managed water way with many locks controlling things. 

2) We've Sailed this cruise both ways. Our personal preference is sailing north to Lyon.

3) All Viking Longships are essential identical and all are staffed we excellent people. 

4) Lyon is likely to be best when visited on Fridayc- Saturday.

5) Can't speak to this as we've never been in the summer. It will be hot for sure. 

23 hours ago, sboh said:

The ships I’m looking at are the Buri or the Delling, any differences between the two? They appear identical, is that true of decor too? If you’ve sailed either one, your impressions?

Buri and Delling are both Longships. All Longships are identical apart from their name and a large painting at the top of the staircase depicting the Norse god after which the boat is named.

I like their design and décor. It's clean and spare giving the impression of space. But you can make up your own mind by taking the 360 degree tour on the website - 

About Our Longships - Viking River Cruises (that link goes to the co.uk site. It will probably automatically divert you to the US site but if you have problems you'll find it under About our Longships.

I have done the Rhone with Viking from Lyon southwards. I am doing it again in August, this time in the opposite direction. So it doesn't really matter which direction you travel as you'll want to come back and cruise the opposite way 😁

If you are thinking of dining in a Lyon restaurant, check its website that is is open on the evening you want; some restaurants close on Mondays.

Our original cruise was in July, the weather was pleasantly warm but I wouldn't say it was unpleasantly hot. Anyway in August we're going in August in the hope it will be hot!!

The pre-trip extension trump everything, but you might want to check the airtravel aspect, can you fly direct to/from Lyon/Marseilles?

Thank you for your responses, I found them both very helpful. Glad to hear that water levels shouldn’t be a problem on this river. One less thing to worry about considering the cost of these trips! I just got done booking a late June sailing on the Buri, northbound, that will put me in Lyon on Fri/Sat and the 2-night pre-cruise extension in Aix. I was able to use the link you provided, pontac, to tour the ship (I had seen it but assumed it was particular to the name of the ship in the first picture.) I too like the look of the decor and can’t wait to see it in person. A good point to check air routings. My home airport is CLE so no direct flights to either city. (I can usually fly to Europe one stop through NY, but it looks like this one is two stops either way to/from either city. Ugh!)

Edited by sboh