Priority Self Debarkation

groundloop

Our Christmas cruise on Magic was our first as Platinum.  

Since we had an 8+ hour drive ahead of us we used self debarkation.  The notice we received said to be at the meeting point at 7:00 AM, we figured it'd be a good idea to get there a bit early and was there at 6:45 only to see a long line of folks with Platinum sail-and-sign cards walking off the ship already.  I must say, it was fantastic being on the road by a few minutes after 7:00 (except that our parade got rained on by I-75 being shut down near the state line).  

For those of you who have done this a few times, how early would you have arrived, and is it pretty common to be able to leave early when the ship arrives in port early?

7 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Since we had an 8+ hour drive ahead of us we used self debarkation.  The notice we received said to be at the meeting point at 7:00 AM, we figured it'd be a good idea to get there a bit early and was there at 6:45 only to see a long line of folks with Platinum sail-and-sign cards walking off the ship already.  I must say, it was fantastic being on the road by a few minutes after 7:00 (except that our parade got rained on by I-75 being shut down near the state line).  

For those of you who have done this a few times, how early would you have arrived, and is it pretty common to be able to leave early when the ship arrives in port early?

We are Diamond so we have a lot of years of using priority debarkation 😁  I would have done the same as you, showed up about 15 minutes before the time stated in the letter.  What happened to you would be the exception not the rule from what I have seen.  Even as Diamond (who are first off), we usually have to wait a bit before being released.  As Platinum the wait was longer.

It just all depends on how fast they clear customs.  As soon as they do, they start letting people off.  You got lucky to be that early.

Edited by wemjam

We showed up once 5 min early and the Priority Disembarkation room had already been emptied! 🤯 

A very nice host walked us privately down the Deck 3 outside passage (the same way all the priority guests had gone 10 minutes earlier) and cut us into the line right at the spot they were 'dinging' S&S cards for the now disembarking 'commoners'. 😁

Edited by jsglow

42 minutes ago, jsglow said:

A very nice host walked us privately down the Deck 3 outside passage (the same way all the priority guests had gone 10 minutes earlier) and cut us into the line right at the spot they were 'dinging' S&S cards for the now disembarking 'commoners'. 😁

Rank has its' privilege.  😆

• Like 1

I learned a lesson a few months ago on the MG where the paper said to go to the dining room at 730 for plat self debark.  At 7:10, they announced that the ENTIRE ship could self debark.  😳. The elevators and hallways were completely clogged.  Tempers were flaring.  

I now go down earlier than the time that they indicate as I have an 8 hour drive too. 

I actually prefer it when our plane isn't until later and we can hang on the ship for awhile, get a nice breakfast, and then relax up on Lido with our luggage.  But that isn't always the way things are scheduled so having Priority is appreciated and useful.

17 hours ago, groundloop said:

It all depends on how early customs clears the boat for debarkation.

I've been on cruises where they have to repeatedly call the same handfull of people down to a bar to meet with a customs official and the boat starts debarkation a little late until those people check in with the customs official who gets onboard.

More often than not, it is on time or a little early.

Our  last cruise out of Tampa in early December was flying back from Costa Maya due to a forecast of heavy fog debarkation morning. We were docked already when I woke up to hit the bathroom at 2 AM. (instead of the usual 4-5 AM that the ships arrive back to port)

We went down to the theater (where the platinums were supposed to wait for priority debarkation) before 7AM and they had already taken the platinums down 15 minutes earlier. (luckily we were waiting for the disabled debark after checking our luggage.)

I'd say we have had maybe two cruises (ot of 15-20 ish) since we hit platinum that started debarkation late. Another couple that started a bit early and the rst were usually right on time. (7 ish)

Edited by bguppies