Empress Review 2-13-06 2nd installment

Our room was 9620 a JS. We had plenty of room. There was a walk in closet to hang your clothes with about 24 hangers. The safe was in the closet and we also kept our suitcases in there. Queen size bed, pull out sofa,chair with foot rest, and two chairs and a small table on the balcony. There were two night stands and a small dresser with three drawers.There was also a "vanity" area with chair and the mirror opened up to more small shelving. The bathroom area was large enough for us. The shower was indeed small. Combination shampoo/conditioner, and soap were supplied. There were two medium glass shelves attached to the mirror, counter top space, and space under the sink. Our stateroom attendant, Delmar, was excellent. He even brought us a mini-fridge and we didn't even have to ask for it. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

Fitness Center - Very nice. Treadmills, bikes, weight machines. More but I can't remember.

Pool - Always being used but never seemed crowded. ( Depth of 5' )

Wadding Pool - Nice for little ones but adults were also using it to dangle feet in or walk around in. ( ankle to mid-calf deep )

Hot Tub (3) We used them at night between 8-9 - nice - but the water could of been a little warmer.

Show Room - If you are really into the shows, get there early. We would arrive about 20 min. before the start and the first 6 rows were always filled. (along with scattered seating). We always sat in the upper level and the view was fine for us.

Lounges - All were nice. Different type of music for each lounge.

Piano Melodies-Schooner Bar w/Pat Calisura

Dance Party - Boleros w/The Liza Hendrix Band

Piano Bar Entertainment - Schooner Bar w/Enrique Vasquez

Night Club Experience - Viking Crown Lounge w/DJ Mario

Internet - I think there were about 12 computers. We used it to e-mail home and in our estimation, service was quick.

Spa - Always saw people going in. I booked a full body seaweed massage (2 hours) at 8:00am. and there were four others in the lounge area at that time for appointments also. So prices must have been pretty good. Mine was a gift from my daughter - cost $205. I don't know how much the other services were.

Dinning Room - Beautiful room. Only on Two ocassions did we experience the vibrations. ( we had early seating ) Piano music every night but one. Our waiter, Kenyenta and our Asst. waiter, Maurat were excellent. Professional yet very friendly and warm personalities. The food was good. I have to admit though that we've had better on the other RCCL ships. Entrees seemed to be repetitive - not much variety from evening to evening. Appetizers and deserts were of course to die for. :)

Chair Hogs - Really didn't see any. There seemed to be enough chairs for those who wanted them. On sea days it got pretty crowded and chairs were hard to find, but they were being used.

I have to get dinner for hubby - I'll try and write another installment tomorrow night.

Hi Cherie..Great concise report so far. Will eagerly await the follow-up. It's so interesting because DH and I will be on in December, and will be in JS#9630, a few doors down from your room. Was concerned about the drawer and closet space, but you said it was doable. Sounds like a fairly good sized closet, too. We cruised the Empress last December, but had an oceanview on Deck 4. It worked out fine, but decided to do a JS this time. It seemed quite adequate for you. We are looking forward to the veranda! Because you were on the starboard side, what ports did you dock at were you looking out to sea, or overlooking the pier? It seems like a crazy question, but would like to know what I am looking at from my balcony.

Thanks for the report...Helen

Hi Cherie..Great concise report so far. Will eagerly await the follow-up. It's so interesting because DH and I will be on in December, and will be in JS#9630, a few doors down from your room. Was concerned about the drawer and closet space, but you said it was doable. Sounds like a fairly good sized closet, too. We cruised the Empress last December, but had an oceanview on Deck 4. It worked out fine, but decided to do a JS this time. It seemed quite adequate for you. We are looking forward to the veranda! Because you were on the starboard side, what ports did you dock at were you looking out to sea, or overlooking the pier? It seems like a crazy question, but would like to know what I am looking at from my balcony.

Thanks for the report...Helen

Hi Helen

Not a crazy question, but, I can't remember. However,we really enjoyed the balcony. As for the drawer and closet space, we didn't bring a huge amount of clothes. I brought sun dresses and dinner dresses, hubby brought 4 dress shirts, 5 polo/golf shirts,3 tee shirts and two dress pants that were hung up in the closet. The three small drawers were ok for the unmentionables and some shorts. A couple of the sundresses I doubled up on hangers so I could hang my formal wear.

Enjoy your cruise

I plan on writing part 3 tonight.

Cherie

lovethesun58,

Thanks for the details we're in 9610 next week. Did you bring any hangers or did you have enough in the room?

Also is the balcony big enough for breakfasts with a table and two chairs? We've loved that on our prior cruises. Go to Windjammer get the food and eat on our balcony.

Also were there any don't miss views from the balcony we should plan for?

Hello Cherie,

Thank you for the detailed review of the Empress. Can you tell me does RCCL give you a free shopping/tote bag in your cabin? This might be one of the pluses of Celebrity Cruise line. I would like to know if i need to bring one of my own.

Thanks again for the review, looking forward to part 3 and hope it includes things you did and saw in the ports.:D

lovethesun58,

Thanks for the details we're in 9610 next week. Did you bring any hangers or did you have enough in the room?

Also is the balcony big enough for breakfasts with a table and two chairs? We've loved that on our prior cruises. Go to Windjammer get the food and eat on our balcony.

Also were there any don't miss views from the balcony we should plan for?

We didn't bring any hangers. I think there were about 24. I just doubled up on some of my sundresses. The table on our balcony was a little small but we still managed to have breakfast out there a few times. There were also 2 chairs.

We did a few of the sailaways on the balcony.As far as any don't miss views, we loved all the views from the balcony.

One night, the Captain announced that we were passing an active volcano that was erupting. We viewed this from our balcony. What a sight!

Hello Cherie,

Thank you for the detailed review of the Empress. Can you tell me does RCCL give you a free shopping/tote bag in your cabin? This might be one of the pluses of Celebrity Cruise line. I would like to know if i need to bring one of my own.

Thanks again for the review, looking forward to part 3 and hope it includes things you did and saw in the ports.:D

Yes-Our gift for this sailing was a nice cloth bag with Empress of The Seas and RRCL Logo stitched on the front. Very nice bag. Measures about 12x12. If you are talking about the large plastic bags, we didn't have one in our cabin but did see a few passengers with them. Maybe you just had to ask for it.

Archived