golfing in eastern carib..

Again, not sure of your exact itinerary, but if you're going east, chances are you are going to St. Thomas.

Mahoganny Run is alright. It's signature is "The Devils Triangle" that is a series of 3 holes around (I believe if I recall correctly) Mehgans' Bay. You are basically on the cliff above it. It is very pictureseque and very windy. They used to have (and likely still do) an offer regarding playing those 3 holes without incurring any penalty strokes, that would get you something from the pro shop.

Otherwise, it is comparable to a standard municipal golf course. They keep it in nice shape, but if you've ever played in a golfing resort area like Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Scottsdale etc., you will not be overly impressed. They can boast the popularity because they are the only game in town- it has attracted former US Presidents and celebs.

Just an opinion from someone who has played there.

They have a website-- I don't recall the exact address. Just do search for Mahoganny run golf, St. Thomas.

Wherever you decide to play, your better off than the rest of us.....you are on vacation and on a golf course. Doesn't get much better than that!

Jay

Here's the website for Mahogany Run. We've played it twice and enjoyed it both times.

http://www.mahoganyrungolf.com/

If you're going to San Juan, we've played both Hyatt Dorado and El Conquistador. We would play either again. Don't know if you would have enought time there to play them as they are a few miles and lot of traffic from the pier. We played them pre and post cruise different times.

Puerto Rico has several nice courses. In addition to El Conquistodor and Hyatt Dorado, try Westin Rio Mar - very nice.

The other good golfing islands in the Caribbean are Barbados (DH and DS say that Sandy Lane is the best in the Caribbean) and the Dominican Republic.

DH ans DS have also golfed Mahogany Run a few times and enjoyed it. Hey, anything for them to escape the St Thomas shopping scene is enjoyable!

if you are in nassau play the ocean club, a little pricey, but by far the nicest course i have ever played in my life, my uncle who i played with said it was better then pebble beach which he had played

if you are going to play, play the ocean culb while in nassau you will not be disapointed

Archived