MSC Mediterranean Cruises - Question Regarding Vaccine Cards and COVID Test

BrooklynCruiser

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I already reached out to MSC with the following questions but have yet to hear back.  Perhaps someone here knows the answers based on prior responses from the company:

1. According to MSC's website, "Guests will be required to show an EU Covid Digital certificate or the equivalent of a valid vaccine certificate."  We are U.S. citizens and reside in the U.S.  Does the U.S. vaccination record card qualify as a valid vaccine certificate?  If so, is the (paper) original acceptable or does MSC require a digital record?

2. We are traveling with friends some of whom are not fully vaccinated and, according to MSC’s website, “must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (RT-PCR or antigen) taken within 48 hours of embarkation.”  Our friends will be flying in the day before the cruise and can, therefore, have these COVID tests administered, within the 48-hour requirement, in the United States.  Are results for tests administered in the United States accepted by MSC? 

Thanks!

We cruised from Genoa in May 2022. US covid cards (FL has no digital system) were accepted; our tests were at-home (in Orlando), tele-monitored, and accepted. We carried our cards, although digital from an authorized site would probably have sufficed, because some of the establishments at some of the ports did require proof (EU Covid digital certificate) to enter

However, at that time, there was still mandatory covid testing at the port before embarkation. Honestly, I don't know what is happening now. We booked for Oct (Grand Voyage so test required despite multiple vaccinations). I'm hoping that changes by then, but who knows--probably NOT MSC. 

Edited by Rhea98
  • Like 1

I've been curious about this, too, if there are any testing requirements required before boarding.  Our cruise is in March, and I'd rather not waste precious pre-cruise time in Rome having to get covid tests done.  I wonder if it says in the check-in documents anywhere.  I haven't done mine yet as I'm waiting on my passport renewal.

Semi-related, are masks still required anywhere in Europe?

I would love clarification on this policy.  We are traveling from our state to Chicago, to London, to Berlin and overnighting than boarding a train to get to Warnemunde, Germany.  We all have had covid and varying vax status, including unvax teen.  How the heck are we supposed to get a RT-PCR test before leaving (cutting it very close time wise), or while we're in Europe?  At London or Berlin airports?  This will be such a stress point for all of us, wondering and hoping that we can do this, is the place open, will there be enough time (and expense).  Do you know if MSC is still requiring this or have plans to continue to require it. 

• or fully vaccinated guests, testing is recommended (within 72 hours of embarkation) but not required (with proof of vaccination), per our vaccination requirements.
  • All guests ages 5 years old or older who are unvaccinated or do not have proof of a vaccine certificate, must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (RT-PCR or antigen) taken within 48 hours of embarkation. Children under 5 years of age are not required to submit a negative test.
  • A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes.
  • The original test results certificate and vaccination certificate must be presented at the terminal (paper or electronic format) and must be in one of the following languages: English, Italian, German, French or Spanish. COVID-19 test certificate must contain the guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification/contact details of the center that performed the analysis, technique used, and negative test result.

This is not an easy topic and getting specific info seems impossible. Also, it could change. "Generally," if you have not traveled to China (not necessarily an MSC thing) recently, and if you are NOT doing a Grand Voyage, AND if you are vaccinated, you will not need a Covid test. Some cities/countries may still require it. I haven't checked. When we were transitioning from our repo cruise to Nordic cruises (same ship), we expected another Covid test. No one told us differently until I asked at the desk a few days before our arrival/transition day when I discovered no stop in the Nordic/Netherland areas required them. We did have to test on the repo (Genoa-Copenhagen) cruise for a stop--maybe Portugal, I don't remember. 

My experience is really moot as it was nearly a year ago. We still had to test to fly back back to the US. Less than a week after that, it was no longer required.

Fortunately, I knew we could (and did) get tests in the Copenhagen airport. Airport tests are a probability (unvaxed teen). For our previous trip, rapid antigen was accepted as long as it had been monitored (tele-monitored or direct). The lack of mention in MSC terms is further confusion/stressful.

Hopefully, recent travels from US to Europe for cruise there will let you know. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 3:00 PM, claireruth said:

I've been curious about this, too, if there are any testing requirements required before boarding.  Our cruise is in March, and I'd rather not waste precious pre-cruise time in Rome having to get covid tests done.  I wonder if it says in the check-in documents anywhere.  I haven't done mine yet as I'm waiting on my passport renewal.

Semi-related, are masks still required anywhere in Europe?

I can't help anybody with the unvaxxed requirements, but I just took a cruise on the MSC Grandiosa out of Barcelona as a vaxxed U.S. citizen. No tests were required as a fully vaxxed (I have had 4 total shots, mix of Moderna and Pfizer) individual - just showed my physical vax card at check-in and did the health questionnaire in the eTicket packet beforehand to hand in. Very quick and easy with no other questions.

From being in Spain pre- and post- cruise and in all the ports, I didn't actually see many masks at all. Technically, there were announcements on public transit in Barcelona and Marseille that said masks were mandatory, but I would say maybe 80% of people on board were not wearing masks. I did fly Iberia Airlines into Madrid, and they did require masks on board.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 5:11 AM, HeathieBee said:

I would love clarification on this policy.  We are traveling from our state to Chicago, to London, to Berlin and overnighting than boarding a train to get to Warnemunde, Germany.  We all have had covid and varying vax status, including unvax teen.  How the heck are we supposed to get a RT-PCR test before leaving (cutting it very close time wise), or while we're in Europe?  At London or Berlin airports?  This will be such a stress point for all of us, wondering and hoping that we can do this, is the place open, will there be enough time (and expense).  

•  
  •  
  •  

Currently there are still many test stations all over Germany. Many charge nothing, others 3€.

Due to less and less demand, this might change but currently it would be no major problem for you to get a test eg. in Berlin.

Results of antigen tests are normally received within less than an hour.

• Like 1

Just FYI, I emailed MSC's Voyagers' Club with the questions posted above and they responded as follows:

Thank you for contacting Msc Voyagers Club.
For any questions related to Covid or booking
related, please contact an Msc agent via phone
at 877-665-4655 or you can email customer service
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the information on Berlin.  We arrive at 8pm at night, and have an early train.  We're staying at a hotel near the airport.  Do you know vaguely what our options will be for tests, and the turnaround?

On 1/23/2023 at 2:01 PM, carlmm said:

Currently there are still many test stations all over Germany. Many charge nothing, others 3€.

Due to less and less demand, this might change but currently it would be no major problem for you to get a test eg. in Berlin.

Results of antigen tests are normally received within less than an hour.

14 minutes ago, HeathieBee said:

Thank you for the information on Berlin.  We arrive at 8pm at night, and have an early train.  We're staying at a hotel near the airport.  Do you know vaguely what our options will be for tests, and the turnaround?

https://ber.berlin-airport.de/en/cafes-shops-service/sgs-poi/550-covid19-medicare-t1.html

Also, there appears to be a testing center across from Rostock Hauptbahnhof if your train connection there is sufficient time.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 2:08 AM, HeathieBee said:

Given your tight schedule the airport option given by @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH might be the best. The antigen test there (very commercial) costs € 40 but it probably the most convenient for you. Results are supposed to be given within 15 minutes.

• Like 1