On board texting.

TiggerandBart

They have a text capability in the app but I don't hear good things about it.

If your party is using iPhones, iMessage can be used for free.  Put phone in airplane mode, connect to the ship's wifi, but do not "login" or any other form of authentication.  iMessage will now work.  iMessage works between iPhones on the ship or on land.  If you login after connecting to ships wifi you will then be using your "minutes" which is not necessary for iMessage.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You can message through the app and it costs $10 for the week. Biggest issue I found was that it does not notify you (sound, banners etc) that you have a message...you have to keep checking to see if you have a message. Other than that it worked great for our party of 10. As mentioned iMessages (iPhone to iPhone) will work while on the ship and connected to wi-fi...I keep in touch with my kids back home that way...messages always come through quite quick.

Edited by CaptainBazz
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Has the NCL app messaging notification situation not improved AT ALL? still totally broken? Intermittent? What?

We didn’t end up using it, but when we signed up it required us to allow notifications. But once iMessage worked we never used it again.