First Time! MSC Poesia from Istanbul

Rahmi

Greetings everyone! We weren't planning on doing a cruise, but the price ended up about the same for another vacation we were considering, so we're taking the chance for our first cruise. We are doing the basic interior cabin, without drinks package or extras. So some questions:

1. I saw that mocktails are included for free (without purchasing any drinks package)? Is this correct? So this will be available at the bars?

2. MDR - is there a seating for two option, or do we have to join a larger table?

3. We are doing a November sailing, will the ship be full? If we want some quiet, where would we go?

4. Our ports are:  Istanbul, Athens/Piraeus, Palermo, Rome/Civitavecchia, Genoa, Kusadasi, Istanbul. Any suggestion for a must do port excursion or careful planning? 

5. How early can we board the ship? We are planning to arrive in Istanbul the day before. 

Thank you so much for the guidance!

Hi

I've only done 1  cruise with MSC so far but have one next month (Dubai) and another in May that takes in Istanbul, Athens and Kusadasi so here are my limited replies.

1. - Doubt it - free drinks will be water/tea/coffee.  You may have got a deal that includes the soft drink package, if so mocktails would be included.  You'd need to check with your travel agent or MSC to be sure or check on the MSC website by logging in with your booking nbr.

2 - We had table for 2 and expecting it for our 2 cruises this year with them.

3. - Not familar with the ship but at 95k gross tonnes it should be plenty big enough to find some quiet spots

4. Based on my early research for our May cruise:

Istanbul - dock is close enough to walk off and explore Istanbul so Blue Mosgue, Hagia Sophia and Grand Bazar are on our list.  There are plenty of public transport options.  We don't depart until around 9pm so we may even take a local ferry across the Bosphorous to the Asian side of Istanbul.

Athens - The dock at Piraeus is a few miles from Athens.  You can walk or take a short bus ride to the metro which goes direct into Athens.  From there you have plenty of options such as the Acropolis/Parthenon.  The Acropolis museum is worth visiting.  We've been before so for this next cruise we plan to walk up Mount Lycabettus for the view and then just wander around the city.

Kusadasi - Ephesus would be the main thing to do plus taking in a beach.  This youtube shows how to get the bus to Ephesus so you can avoid any expensive ship tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbepBiLQNuU

Rome - Not part of our cruise this year but have been on a cruise departing from Civitavecchia which is some distance from Rome.  Civitavecchia is nice enough to walk around but you can get a train from Civitavecchia into Rome or alternatively look into local tours that will pickup from the port.

I'd suggest using youtube and searching for each port, you'll get loads of videos showing the ports and what to do - try to avoid the expensive ship tours, there is usually local transport or local tours available.

Google maps is also good for showing local transport options from the port to where you want to go.  Ports will also have loads of taxis waiting or use Uber.

5. Not sure - Last year we had transport from Dubai airport to cruise terminal included so just walked off the bus into the cruise terminal.  Next month we are doing the same again, I noticed we had a 9am assigned check in time.  

10 hours ago, Rahmi said:

1. I saw that mocktails are included for free (without purchasing any drinks package)? Is this correct? So this will be available at the bars?

2. MDR - is there a seating for two option, or do we have to join a larger table?

3. We are doing a November sailing, will the ship be full? If we want some quiet, where would we go?

1. No, never have been, never will be.

2. Have to discuss with Maitre d if you are unhappy with your assigned table. 

3.  Never full in November, easy to find quiet zones. 

11 hours ago, Rahmi said:

Greetings everyone! We weren't planning on doing a cruise, but the price ended up about the same for another vacation we were considering, so we're taking the chance for our first cruise. We are doing the basic interior cabin, without drinks package or extras. So some questions:

1. I saw that mocktails are included for free (without purchasing any drinks package)? Is this correct? So this will be available at the bars? - No, they are available as an extra cost, but generally well priced and with a good selection.

2. MDR - is there a seating for two option, or do we have to join a larger table? - Very few 2 tops on the Musica class, mostly by the entrance and mostly for individuals whom need a wheelchair. But never bad to ask...

3. We are doing a November sailing, will the ship be full? If we want some quiet, where would we go? Usually not full with fewer kids at that time, but note that considering weather conditions, people may to mingle more to the inside of the ship. During the day you'll have bars and lounges relatively silent to enjoy, other than the one where activities might to be done.

4. Our ports are:  Istanbul (never gone myself), Athens/Piraeus (one that includes the Parthenon), Palermo (never gone myself), Rome/Civitavecchia (definitely book this with the ship once the port is a good 90+ minutes from the city center. It depends on what you want from Rome, but IMHO, if you can afford it, save a greater look on Rome for a travel where you are able to stay there for some 4 days minimum. The basic Panoramic Rome excursions will to give you a single glimpse of the city, though), Genoa (pretty easy to do on your own or with the HOHO. The ships docks right on the city and all the attractions are at bearable distance), Kusadasi (never gone myself), Istanbul. Any suggestion for a must do port excursion or careful planning? 

5. How early can we board the ship? We are planning to arrive in Istanbul the day before. You'll have a suggested time on your ticket, but per my past experience, never before 11 or mid day.

Thank you so much for the guidance! You're welcome! Have a nice day!

On 1/26/2023 at 6:32 AM, adam7392 said:

Istanbul - dock is close enough to walk off and explore Istanbul so Blue Mosgue, Hagia Sophia and Grand Bazar are on our list.  There are plenty of public transport options.  We don't depart until around 9pm so we may even take a local ferry across the Bosphorous to the Asian side of Istanbul.

This is my first time in Istanbul as well In July -  Is it easy to do these 3 things on your own? Do you have to purchase tickets ahead of time for Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia? Can you walk to these attractions from the cruise port or you have to take public transport?