Changing from RCCL to DCL--need advice

lagbunch8

My family is now booked on RCCL Mariner in 1 balcony that connects to a lg ocean view on deck 9. We are thinking of canceling and I have a hold on 2 cat 9s on deck 2 with DCL. DCL will cost us just under 2k more than RCCL. This would be my husband and I and our 6 kids(just I know I am nuts lol) ages at time of cruise 12, 11, 9, 7, 5 and 5. This is a family cruise. My husband and I have cruised (RCCL only) before. My kids have never cruised. Should I do it? The 2 cat 9s are listed as "noisy" rooms on that web page listed in another thread. But, apparently 2 connecting quads are not plentiful in cat 9 so I have little choice. Please give your honest opinions. Thanks.

Yes, you should do it. Yes, with 6 children, $2,000 is a lot of $. But if you have the ressie, you have the $ available to you. The DCL ships are simply happy and the definition of quality family time. We've done 3 RCCL and 4 DCL, and I have future ressies on both, but if you have never yet done DCL, do it. The shows are so wonderful to see together as a family, the oversized rooms and split baths are very comfortable (though the mariner's rooms are probably comparable in square footage). The whimsey to be found on a disney ship is everywhere, yet the ships themselves are very classy and elegant. The kids programming is good on RCCL but DCL's is superior. The "noisy" listing, probably from Dave's DCL tribute or the other site that i think can no longer be named, is relative--relative to other DCL rooms, and all things differ between individuals. You can find threads at the disboards where people have stayed in "noisy" rooms and it was not a problem.

the disney touch on friendliness is everywhere, and even the experience in the terminal is memorable. you won't be sorry that you did the disney cruise--the question isn't whether the cruise is worth it, the question is whether your family is worth it--I sense they are.

We stayed once in a Deck 2, Cat 9 that was categorized as potentially noisy because it was underneath a night club. We never noticed anything we thought was a problem.

Here's the thing about DCL - it is a great cruising experience, but it is a different cruising experience compared to most lines.

How is it different? Disney does a great job of creating separate zones for families, children, and adults. The main dining rooms and theater are part of the family zone, and some folks may not appreciate that.

One thing I am sure of, though, is that your kids would have an absolute blast. After 3 Disney cruises, we've told our kids (12 & 14) that we're probably going to try something different next time we do a family cruise, and they are in open rebellion about it!

Also, Disney's private island is one of the best around anywhere (I haven't seen them all, but its the best of all the ones that I have seen).

i say yes, go for DCL. it is so awesome for families. we have gone 10 times and have 2 more booked.

The noisy room are for 2 reasons. One is the night clubs and the other is for the engines. I have read many posts about them, however I have never stayed in one of them. Most of those with the engine noise said it was a very low humming and they said it didnt bother them at all. Some even said it helped them to sleep. But when they docked the engines got more loud for a few minutes. But most were up by then anyway.

People with the clubs said there was some noise,but some said there were out in the clubs anyway so no problem. By the time they went back to their rooms the clubs were closed. On DCL I have noticed that by 11:30 the clubs really slow down and the crowds are gone. So not much noise. I believe this is because most adults are picking up their kids and turning in at a descent hour still. I wouldnt let the idea of a noisy room keep me from going. I have been on deck 2 before and it was a nice quiet area. The kids new virtual reality area is on deck 2 on the Magic,so that would be close for the kids.

I'm sure your family will love the rotational dining. They have Parrot Cay and Animators Palate which do have special things that happen while you are in there. Never leave early from dinner or you may miss something fun, such as the limbo, characters, or a parade of dozens of flaming frozen alaska's. there is always something happening in the dining rooms. You keep the same wait staff and they really spoil the kids!!

mom x4,grandma x4

for your replies and information. We are going to do it. I know the kids will really have a blast and that is worth the extra $ and possible engine noise :) We could have gotten a cheaper rate in the fall because we are residents but, I didn't want to leave my home during "the season":eek: We can always do the RCCL when the kids are older but, we only have them young for so long. My oldest will be 12 at sailing so she is just worried that the DCL will be for "babies" as she says. I think she will be very happy with our choice. She already seems to more excited about it since I put the hold on the cabins. I am going to put the deposit down tomorrow and when I get my deposit back from RCCL I will send that to DCL. That way the final payment will be the same as it would have been next Feb. You all are so helpfull and friendly thank you again!

BTW the cabins are 2638 and 2640 if anyone has any experience with those. I think I would be dealing with a possible engine noise but, we will be fine. I fall asleep with the TV on every night anyway. I have 6 kids I deal with noise pretty well ;) Hey maybe that's why they put the quads over the engines to dull the noise of the people! lol.

. My oldest will be 12 at sailing so she is just worried that the DCL will be for "babies" as she says.

Tell her that my daughter was 13 on our last cruise; after she hooked up w/ her age group, we didn't see her again except for dinner and shore excursions!

They do a great job w/ all age groups except, perhaps, the older teens.

I will definitely tell my DD what you have said. I will also bookmark that site so we can check it out when she gets home. I really think my kids are in for a major treat. I love cruising and doing it Disney is going to be all the better. I have changed my signature so I guess it's official!:D

I will actually have a 12 yr old by this cruise! The teen years are coming. My older 3 are all girls too!:eek: (I have 3 girls and 3 boys)

Archived