Norway in winter clothing advice

kbert92069

So last minute packing advice needed from winter experts as I am headed to Viking Ocean "In search of Northern Lights cruise next week   I am trying to decide what to pack.  Should I choose water resistant fleece lined "snow pants"  or water proof insulated bib overalls with built in gaiters.  The former seem like they might get too wet in the legs while the latter are bulky and heavy and perhaps too warm over a base layer. No room to pack both and the really cold excursions provide winter wear.

Edited by kbert92069

Locally, we typically choose an un-insulated GoteTex-style wind-/waterproof outer pant and shell, then add appropriate insulating layers underneath. A warm merino wool base pant and top are the go-to for almost any cold-weather activity, and then something like a wool sweater or insulating pant between that and the outer layer.

If you’ll be out on deck in cold temperatures, blocking the wind is essential.

Waterproofing will depend a bit on the activities you’re participating in, but if you’ll be using them for snow activities, you’ll probably want fully waterproof outer layers.

• Like 3