Teen allowed in Portofino's

Why are you quoting me about following the rules? I am of the opinion if there is a rule it should be followed. "mom" however, feels she only needs to follow the ones she wants to. Like i said, pretty hypocrytical.

And there is no "gray area" either a rule is being broken or it isn't. Whether the line enforces it's own rules is irrelevent.

Because whole RCI has a stated policy regarding bringing wine they sent me an e-mails last fall, when I asked them to clarify the bringing your own wine thing, stating that, "You may not bring any alcohol on board. Should you elect to bring a wine RCI does not carry there will be a $12.00 corkage fee"

So that rule is not as much of a rule as you might imagine and further the people at the next table brought their own wine and were charged a corkage fee. It's an arbitrary rule at best. It's not that it is not enforced.

Because whole RCI has a stated policy regarding bringing wine they sent me an e-mails last fall, when I asked them to clarify the bringing your own wine thing, stating that, "You may not bring any alcohol on board. Should you elect to bring a wine RCI does not carry there will be a $12.00 corkage fee"

So that rule is not as much of a rule as you might imagine and further the people at the next table brought their own wine and were charged a corkage fee. It's an arbitrary rule at best. It's not that it is not enforced.

Not sure why were having such a problem with this. There are no "arbitrary" rules. As I stated above, a rule is a rule, whether it is enforced or not is irrelevant.

New rules beachchik. No more wine allowed. It sucks and it's one of those stupid rules that they never enforce.

Which is it? Is it a new rule or is it not? There is no "gray area".

BTW: Still didn't answer why you quoted my post ?

Because I did. Because it was argumentative and pointed fingers in my eyes. It seemed like the one to quote.

It is an arbitrary rule if they tell you in the same e-mail it is not allowed but if you do then they will charge you a fee. They said that, not me.

I am not going to argue about this further. I feel like I am being dragged into an apropos of nothing.

Because I did. Because it was argumentative and pointed fingers in my eyes. It seemed like the one to quote.

It is an arbitrary rule if they tell you in the same e-mail it is not allowed but if you do then they will charge you a fee. They said that, not me.

I am not going to argue about this further. I feel like I am being dragged into an apropos of nothing.

It's arbitrary because you elect to see it that way. It's arbitrary because it suits your needs to see it that way. Much the same as bringing a 12yo into chops.

To get back to the original question, on the Explorer last week, the Cruise Compass consistently said that guests 13 years and older were welcome in Portofino's. Not sure if that's the same on all ships.

The only thing here that seems arbitrary, to me, is to pick 13 as the minimum age limit for allowing a passenger into the specialty dining rooms at a certain hour.

Why not 12 y.o? Or 14? Let's face it, the difference between the maturity level of your standard 12 y.o and 14 y.o is not that great. Nor is there a big difference in the way they look, so it would be easy to pass off an 11 y.o. as a 13 y.o., if you were so inclined.

I guess somebody had to quantify this, and so they picked 13 years old. Like it or not.

I'm not a parent. But, if I had a mature-minded 12 year old, and they wanted to have dinner at Satabini's and I could afford the surcharge, then I'd go for it. If at any time, they turned 'disagreeable', then out we'd go and they wouldn't get the chance again for a very long time.

We non-breeders have the best parenting skills, don't you agree?

I do have to agree that the whole 'don't bring alcohol, but if you bring wine, we'll charge you for corkage' seems extremely stupid.

T

The only thing here that seems arbitrary, to me, is to pick 13 as the minimum age limit for allowing a passenger into the specialty dining rooms at a certain hour.

Why not 12 y.o? Or 14? Let's face it, the difference between the maturity level of your standard 12 y.o and 14 y.o is not that great. Nor is there a big difference in the way they look, so it would be easy to pass off an 11 y.o. as a 13 y.o., if you were so inclined.

I guess somebody had to quantify this, and so they picked 13 years old. Like it or not.

I'm not a parent. But, if I had a mature-minded 12 year old, and they wanted to have dinner at Satabini's and I could afford the surcharge, then I'd go for it. If at any time, they turned 'disagreeable', then out we'd go and they wouldn't get the chance again for a very long time.

I do have to agree that the whole 'don't bring alcohol, but if you bring wine, we'll charge you for corkage' seems extremely stupid.

T

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't even have a problem with people breaking the rules ;) However, I find it hilarious that someone would post a rule is a rule and it should be followed whether you agree with it or not. Then turning around trying to make a case on why it's ok for them to break a different rule. The irony of it all :D

T

T ~ As a "Breeder" of 3 - I like the idea of dining without my children for one or two meals on a cruise. I married a lovely man that I adore and would like to spend some adult/romantic time with him and it's nice to remember why I am a spouse and not just a mother. I also like the idea that it will be mainly other adults I share this experience with sans children! :)

On a separate note:

It is not however, my job to police other people and tell them to do the right thing. I hope for the best! I cannot change other peoples behavior but I can control my own.

I WILL be taking along the two bottles of wine allowed (as I have seen stated in other posts) which are not on the ships wine list to enjoy pre-dinner with my husband in our cabin.

No one is perfect including me. I drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit on the highway. I do not correct the salesperson when they make a mistake on purchases (within reason) and ring up a cheaper price. We are all guilty of something. I am not pointing my finger, after all - I live in a glass house!:D

Happy cruising!!

P.S. ~ T ~ I have lots of non-breeder friends and I trust them all with my kids to babysit, especially when I want to eat at an over 13 restaurant! ;)

I WILL be taking along the two bottles of wine allowed (as I have seen stated in other posts) which are not on the ships wine list to enjoy pre-dinner with my husband in our cabin.

Might want to put it in your luggage and not your carry-on, otherwise you may not see the wine until you're debarking.

Well as a "breeder" (I hate that term btw, I am not a show dog) I know that I knew all about raising children. I was the expert. Then I adopted Gene-Gene and found out I don't know squat. Then we adopted Steven. Well by golly I had a kid and it would be smooth sailing. I didn't know nuthin. Then we had Hernie-Roo, well he's deaf so I learned I still don't know anything. By the time JJ came along I pretty much decided that no one knows anything about raising kids except the Grandparents and for them it was so long ago they forgot.

Archived