A question for those who first cruise AFTER finding the boards

flagger

Did you find your cruise experience met, exceeded or did not exceed your expections? Did the experience live up to the hype or did you find you had researched so much you were underwhelmed by the actual experience?

I was actually pleasantly surprised. I went on my first cruise (Zuiderdam) because there was a conference aboard. After booking, I found these boards, and read many negative reviews about the ship and the line. I expected the clientele to be ancient, the ship to be cramped and smelly, and to have a miserable week. We had a great time, and have cruised twice since then, with one more planned this year!

Did you find your cruise experience met, exceeded or did not exceed your expections? Did the experience live up to the hype or did you find you had researched so much you were underwhelmed by the actual experience?

Hi Flagger :)

I partially fit your description because my husband and I took our first cruise thirty years ago, but I found this board before we took our first Celebrity Cruise during the summer of 2001. At that time the Infinity had just been in service for a few months and most of Cruise Critic's posts about this cruise to Alaska were from people who loved it. We had also thought about taking a cruise to Alaska for years before we actually did. In spite of the hype, which could have made us vulnerable to being disappointed. it turned out to be one of our favorite cruises. In fact, we loved it so much that all of our cruises since that time have been on Celebrity Ships.

NO... I've been so delighted with the information that CCers freely share. All of my private excursions and most hotels come from recommendations on these boards and they've been right on target. Of course, I do figure out who always has something to complain about and take it with a grain of salt; but the positives have never disappointed. Hopefully, I've done the same for those who sail after me.

We did a Mexican Riveria cruise and I used these boards both to review the ship and find shore excursions. We were happy with all of our excursions, most of them surpassing our expectations. We booked mostly independent and one ship excursion, and had no problems. Everyone was very helpful with answering questions. Knowing details about the ship in advance was just fun - no surprises there as we have cruised before but it helped pass the time until the cruise!

I had posted I think close to 500 messages when I took my foirst cruise, somehow it got reset. But the board was very helpful in getting lots of tips and info and building up my excitement, but the real thing still had a big wow factor! It was on the Radience by the way.

We took our first Celebrity cruise in 1999. I have used the boards since 2000. The information I have gathered has been of tremendous value to us. Once in awhile a port, that some have raved about, may not be one we have loved...but I would not post a negative comment. I feel that every person has it's own opinions and insights on how they perceive a situation or a destination. All in all, our experiences have been extremely positive.

Karyn

Archived