Copy of passport?

BabsM

Did I read on cruise critic that we should bring a color copy of our passports with us? What would this be for?

When off the ship, do we leave our passports in the room safe or bring it with us? Isn't our ship ID card enough to get back on the ship?

Am I worrying about nothing? Thanks.

What if you get in an accident ashore? Would a sign and sail card be valid enough ID for you? What about a criminal incident? Hospitalization? I know these are all frightening things and not the things you think about when leaving the ship. Keep in mind though, you are in a foreign country. I always take my passport ashore just in case I need to validate my identity in one of those situations as well as my citizenship status. The color copy is to go in your room safe or safely stowed somewhere in your cabin or luggage in case you lose the original and need it replaced overseas. I also bring drivers license, birth certificate, proof of medical insurance, marriage license, and copies of all of the above. Of course, most don't go ashore with me (only insurance, DL, and passport) but I take them all and store them very safely. As much as you are in a paradise, you are still a stranger in a foreign land and it is very beneficial to be able to carry undeniable proof of who you are and what country you are from.

Archived