World cruise

Hoveto

I doubt it, at least not for the foreseeable future. A few years ago Saga did sound out people to see if there was sufficient interest to run another world cruise (they provided a proposed itinerary) but sadly they did not get enough take up and so it never went ahead.

• Like 1

I hope that Saga will offer a longer cruise. Perhaps not a World cruise but something similar to the South American cruise which was cancelled due to COVID.  If it doesn’t sell well it could be divided into two or three sectors as fly cruises.  We are still prepared to consider flying for an interesting itinerary, and I’m sure we’re not the only ones!

• Like 4

I hope Saga do plan another world cruise as the no fly options from the UK are only Cunard, Fred Olsen and Ambassador. I have not included P&O as they really are now just a mass market floating holiday camp. I’ve cruised many, many times with P&O but they have moved so far down market with their large ships and bargain prices. I enjoy Cunard but their drink and shore excursions prices are astronomical. Ambassador I am still uncertain about. Good good and choice is another very important issue for me. 

• Like 2

As david05 says, Saga did test the interest in a world cruise, and seemed the response was not enough to make it worth their while (especially nowadays, when the probability of a lot of forced last minute destination changes, which make an expensive and logistical  nightmare for any cruise line, must be higher than they have ever been).

It seems they are now concentrating more on their luxury private jet tours and their tailor-made holidays, which have both apparently had successful start ups, so I cannot see them venturing cruises longer than the established (Caribbean, Canada, Canaries with West Coast Africa, etc.) any time soon, if at all.

18 hours ago, Hoveto said:

Do you think that Saga will operate another world cruise?

We would like them to offer World Cruises of Grand Voyages but we just don't think that it's going to happen in the near future.

In early July 2022 SAGA announced the decision to cancel the South American "Grand Voyage" that we were booked onto and at that time SAGA seemed to be uncertain about future covid related political problems in Brazil. We had certainly hoped that the voyage would be offered again... it hasn't and neither have any other longer voyages of a similar nature. 

Before Covid the Transatlantic/Grand Voyage/World Cruise was a tiny part of the cruise market and the average age of UK passengers in the market for this type of cruise was 62... Baby Boomer (born 1946-1964... now aged 58-76) They trended to be the more well-to-do, relaxed, social, adventurous cruisers. Very importantly they were from a generation that had seen their disposable income treble between the late 1970s and 2009... and they had often retired with mortgages long-since paid off, a nest egg or two, sound annuities, no financial worries and they could afford to be laid back and relaxed about retirement.

The industry analysis is that 21% of this potential market have now no plans to cruise again and although Gen X and Millennials (born 1965-1996... now aged 27-58) are less reluctant and more willing to book cruises, these people have seen their disposable income plateau. The older folks in that group are part of a generation who have given immense support to their families, have often re-mortgaged to do so, have missed out on final pension schemes and have far less income than they expected from annuities. And they often see themselves as very "family orientated" so they're more reluctant to leave their families for three or more months at a time when they would miss out on looking after grandchildren in the school holidays etc. Quite a generalisation but it is the overall trend shown in industry and UK Gov. statistics.

We think that the pandemic also had another important consequences... it made so many people aware of just how quickly the world can change. We were on a couple of weeks cruise and crossing the Bay of Bengal when the pandemic was declared... within a couple of days it was in doubt if we would be able to leave the ship as planned at our next port or be able to get our flight back. When we did get home, the supermarket shelves were bare... whole aisles were completely empty (no fruit, no vegetables, no meat, no dairy products, flour, cooking ingredients... the ship returned to the UK and has never cruised again. So short term uncertainty could well be one issue.

The world as a whole, and especially the cruise world has had a major reset due to Covid and the War in the Ukraine... and everything else that's streaming from those things.

We might still consider an interesting "Grand Voyage" but, looking at one forthcoming world cruise from another UK based company... just 26 ports (some in doubt) and only one overnight port in 80 days... just doesn’t appeal to us... too few ports, too little time in them and at £750 a day for an entry level balcony cabin... far, far, far... too expensive for 54 days playing deck quoits, snoozing with a book over our faces and drinking tea. On a world cruise we want to see, experience and enjoy some of the most iconic places on earth... we don't belong to the generation who just want to pose for selfies as part of a bucket-list fulfilment exercise. (Saw a cartoon recently when Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates told off a new arrival, "You had a wonderful life... you just had to look up from your phone to see it!")

So very sadly, we doubt if SAGA will be offering extended voyages in the near future... it's a real pity. We would still be interested in some real travelling experiences from the comfort of a cruise-ship!

• Like 2