children questions

MarkandStacie

Any review or advice for Celebrity with a toddler? Mostly I'd like to hear about dinner. Do they have high chairs? Are the waiters good with them overall. How does babysitting work for a 2 yr old if dinner is just too long?

I also have a 12 yr old boy. Do I need to buy a suit or rent a tux for this vacation? Please advise.

Pretty uniformly, the crew wait staff will treat you far better than a lot of the posts to come...

I think twelve year olds can get by well on formal night with stylish dark outfits including jacket and tie.

The wait staff will be great with your youngest child...who probably will get far more attention than you will! There are high chairs, but I would have your TA make a note in your record so it should be there for you. There are always kid friendly food (though it can get boring after a few nights. )

Your older child will be fine in a suit, or even a blazer, nice slacks and a tie. Don't worry about a 12 year old being "tuxed up". As one who always wears a tux, I can confidently telly you that a youth that makes the effort to respect the dress code - without being jammed into a tux or a dark suit - is absolutely fine. He still is a kid (but don't tell him I said that!;) ).

Babysitting will create a bit of a quandry for you. Cruise dependent it may not be available until about 8PM, so if you are at the main seating, it will be after dinner! You must, however, go directly to Guest Relations upon boarding and book your babysitter as much as you think you will need her for the entire cruise (Sometimes you have to call, other times it is to Guest Relations, so don't get frustrated). I have found that I would rather have a babysitter too much (can that happen???) than be frustrated and disappointed that none are available when I want one. I am sure you would like to have your evenings free!

If you need more info, just ask.

The wait staff will be great with your youngest child...who probably will get far more attention than you will! There are high chairs, but I would have your TA make a note in your record so it should be there for you. There are always kid friendly food (though it can get boring after a few nights. )

Your older child will be fine in a suit, or even a blazer, nice slacks and a tie. Don't worry about a 12 year old being "tuxed up". As one who always wears a tux, I can confidently telly you that a youth that makes the effort to respect the dress code - without being jammed into a tux or a dark suit - is absolutely fine. He still is a kid (but don't tell him I said that!;) ).

Babysitting will create a bit of a quandry for you. Cruise dependent it may not be available until about 8PM, so if you are at the main seating, it will be after dinner! You must, however, go directly to Guest Relations upon boarding and book your babysitter as much as you think you will need her for the entire cruise (Sometimes you have to call, other times it is to Guest Relations, so don't get frustrated). I have found that I would rather have a babysitter too much (can that happen???) than be frustrated and disappointed that none are available when I want one. I am sure you would like to have your evenings free!

If you need more info, just ask.

On our last cruise we met a couple who were traveling with their 1 yr old. She was adorable! She went to dinner with them every night - toward the end she got a bit tired/cranky but no one minded. The waiters were great with her. She went everywhere with them during the day but after dinner I think she had a sitter so they could have a few drinks.

Any review or advice for Celebrity with a toddler? Mostly I'd like to hear about dinner. Do they have high chairs? Are the waiters good with them overall. How does babysitting work for a 2 yr old if dinner is just too long?

We took our son with us aboard Century when he was only 7 mo old. There were plenty of high chairs in the formal dining room and in the cafe area as well. After the 1st night, the waiters set our table with the high chair in place for each of our dinners. The dining room staff was terrific with our son. The Asst Maitre d' in particular paid alot of playful attention to him. We did go for the in-cabin babysitting for a couple of dinners. Getting a sitter to cover our main seating dining time was not a problem but we called 24 hrs in advance to set it up as recommended by Celebrity. The babysitter cost now is $8/hr.

She went to dinner with them every night - toward the end she got a bit tired/cranky but no one minded.

People do mind....but the overwelming majority are polite and understanding...I have NEVER said a word to any parent about their child, but don't confuse that with not minding. We mind, but we understand that making the situation tougher on the parent, solves nothing.

My DD who will be three later this spring has been on three cruises. We went on Infinity back in January. We had a table for four for the three of us on the port side right next to a window. There was another family with a toddler seated next to us at a bigger table. We had early seating.

I made exceptions and allowed my daughter to stand up and look out of the window during dinner, but she was not allowed anywhere else. She is no longer sitting in high chairs, but did sit in a booster seat a couple of the nights.

We went to guest relations immediately upon boarding to arrange for babysitting. On Infinity, babysitting was available from 8AM-1AM, but we only used it during the evenings. She cried a little when we left, but was always asleep by the time we came home. One advantage to booking at the beginning was being able to request the same babysitter each night.

The kid's club was very empty and we were allowed to take her with us during the day but mostly just lounged around the pool or enjoyed the sights. Do not forget to take naps which are highly important!!!

I was on the same cruise as flagger.

My two daughters ( 7 & 10) were there also. We had a table for four, but we had late seating. Our kids ate with us four of the seven nights.

We did what flagger also did. The youngest one was allowed to walk around the table and look over the rail, but that was it.

I really think that as long as the kids are well behaved and not loud, other people do not mind.

On cruises that just my wife and I have been on, children have never been a problem, except on our Thanksgiving cruise out of San Juan. Thats a whole different story.

People do mind....but the overwelming majority are polite and understanding...I have NEVER said a word to any parent about their child, but don't confuse that with not minding. We mind, but we understand that making the situation tougher on the parent, solves nothing.

I say that becasue they people at their table would play with her and even walk her around when she started to get cranky. It seemed to me she may have reminded them of their grandchildren (just an observation).

But I could be wrong. I know this is a sensative subject and being that I do not have children nor traveled with them I can only give my opinon.

I didn't ask if you mind....

Don't you have other crusades to lead?

This isn't a crusade....it's just we are not all "touchy, feely" about kids...we raised ours and have moved on to the next phase of our lives. One day you will also...

One of our grandsons has cruised twice so far and will take his third cruise in April, a month after he turns 3.

This is a picture of him on formal night on the Century in November. He was 2 1/2 at the time. He watched that DVD player every night at dinner, and never made a peep. Dozens of people commented on his good behavior and a few men wished that their wives would let them bring their DVD players to dinner!! :D

No doubt as he gets older he will be able to sit through a meal without visual aids, but the priority was to keep him quiet, the people around us happy and to be able to enjoy dinner as a family. :)

If having children around you is a bother, then you had better stay away from our November cruise on the Mercury, we will have our 5 grandchildren with us (and their parents) age 3 months, 17 months, 3 years, 3 1/2 years and 5 years. :)

Tommyatdinner.jpg

We are looking forward to sharing our cruise experiences with our family, which includes our 7 mo old grandson. Can anyone offer advice on a carseat that is quick and easy to put into a taxi or van from the airport to the pier?

Generally you are OK without a car seat for that short journey. At 7 months, there is no such thing as an easy carseat, unfortunately. Is that the only place you are going to use it?

Although carseats are not required in certain vehicles, I disagree that the length of the trip is important. I deal with a lot of victims of motor vehicle crashes at work. The most tragic victims are the arm-held infants who were ejected from the vehicle. In a collision, that arm-held 7 month old becomes nothing other than a projectile. PLEASE use a carseat, no matter how short the trip.

First of all - we are bringing our 2 year old on the June 27 Baltic Cruise - the portable DVD player for dinner is a great idea. Thanks everyone for your insights.

As far as people "minding" - I understand the disgruntled passanger completely and I think it is important that parents understand that others mind by making attempts to limit the childs impact, but I hope that other travellers understand that us parents do still need vacations also - so there will be kids on the cruises and they will act like kids.

I have a good car seat recommendation for anyone travelling with toddlers. The Sit 'N' Stroll stroller is a car seat that converts into a stroller. It is not the best stroller in the world and it is not the best car seat in the world - but it does the job and is superconvenient for travel. I can take my sone from the car - to the airport terminal to the plane - on the plane - off the plane and into the taxi without him waking up. Actually - you need to take him out at security - but you get my point.

Anyone with toddlers on the June 27th Baltic cruise - definitely let me know.

Although carseats are not required in certain vehicles, I disagree that the length of the trip is important. I deal with a lot of victims of motor vehicle crashes at work. The most tragic victims are the arm-held infants who were ejected from the vehicle. In a collision, that arm-held 7 month old becomes nothing other than a projectile. PLEASE use a carseat, no matter how short the trip.

You are correct. I intended for my post to inquire as to how often the child would need a car seat or if it was just for that one short journey. Sorry, when I read it back it left a very bad impression.:o

You are correct. I intended for my post to inquire as to how often the child would need a car seat or if it was just for that one short journey. Sorry, when I read it back it left a very bad impression.:o

Thank you for the clarification. Working where I do, I've developed multiple "soapbox issues." (That's what I call them; my husband just says I can't keep my mouth shut!) Accidents happen, but if a car seat can prevent a fatality . . .

Archived