Visitors4 in Mykonos - A Relax Vibe

Visitors4

We’ve visited Mykonos twice and recently in September 2022. Both times, we simply roamed the the town, exploring the shops and restaurants, and watching and listening to the sea waves hit the island’s shores. A shore excursion or local tour is really not necessary to visit Mykonos unless you plan to visit sites outside of the immediate town area. 

Originally, our ship was to tender guests ashore, but the morning we arrived, the ship was assigned to dock at the new port. Getting to town was stress-free - hop on a free shuttle bus at the port and then a short walk from the bus drop-off to town, or take a very short ferry ride (for a nominal fee) to the town’s old port which is in the center of town. Our ship was in port 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM. 

Suggestions for Mykonos Town - 

• Church of Panagia Paraportiani - one of the most photographed churches in Mykonos. It’s a unique structure, and we actually came upon it when we were lost in the alleys. If you wear blue, it will photograph very nicely against the white exterior walls of the church. There may be a line of people waiting to take photos, and watching them may give you ideas for posing!
  • Little Venice - dine/drink at any of the bars and restaurants along the water and enjoy the views and sea air. Some take advance reservations. 
  • Windmills - in my opinion, it’s better to view the windmills from a distance (like from Little Venice) rather than close-up. During the day it can be hectic - there are many people and also there is a parking area next to it which I think detracts from the experience. 
  • Pink Pelican - as you walk around Mykonos particularly along the shore, you may catch a glimpse of one of Mykonos’ pink pelicans. We saw one on our first visit by the old port, and confirmed on our recent visit that the pelicans are still roaming around. 

On our next visit to Mykonos, we will head to the beaches that the island is famous for and are on the south coast of Mykonos. If you are looking for a beach closer to town, there is a very small, narrow stretch of “beach” as you walk into Mykonos town, and it is open to the public. I personally didn’t find it appealing because of the many people walking by on the street next to beach. There is also a larger beach near the new port and in opposite direction from Mykonos town. 

Closing Thoughts - Mykonos town can be easily enjoyed on your own. It’s not a large town and very manageable to explore. It is more of a beachy, gather with friends, relax vibe and atmosphere than Santorini, and frankly, the two are very different. One big difference, Mykonos town is relatively flat and not many steps! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @Visitors4.  A few comments.

Mykonos is famous for Mykonos Town, the beaches for the wealthy, and Delos.  Unfortunately, aside from those three destinations, there is not much else in Mykonos.  It seems, compared to other, much more excellent Greek Islands, aside from these three destinations, a pretty bland island.  

But I think that's fine.  Mykonos is overrun by ten thousand visitors every day.  Mykonos is popular enough.

As far as Chora, i.e., Mykonos Town does, it is very picturesque, and is not very big.  It is about a km across.  You can't get lost.  

To me, the most important part of Mykos is Delos.  Delos is a small island off Mykonos, which in the Ancient times used to be the political, economic, and religious, center of the Aegian, and is now the single biggest archeological site in Greece.  I really enjoyed it, and it was the highlight of my trip, but I am fully aware that many people are not into archeology as much.