Magnetic Hooks on door

RiciRicardo

We found "rare earth" magnets work best, but all  the different ships have different quality  metal surfaces.  Something like a refrigerator magnet sign may or may not stick for very long.

Some magnets slide down vertical surfaces like metal doors and walls. Others stick fast. Or you might need to use  the ceiling , or door frames to get a good stick. 

We one got so carried away with "rare earth" magnets on a large wall map we almost could not take them off at the end of the trip.

The last cruise on the Konigsdam, two of our rare earth magnets stuck together in our packing and we nearly had to send them to the machine shop to see if they could be pulled apart - we finally pried them apart using the desk top leverage.

In that case on the Konnigsdam the bathroom door and bathroom ceiling did not stick - where I like to hang my toiletry kit - but the bathroom door frame did.  The cabin ceiling did stick, so we could hang jackets up from those.

• Like 1

We were on NS & the magnet hooks in the cabin worked great!  However, the 2 magnets I brought for the outside door did not stick on the door but the metal frame above, which was find for me because I normally put them up higher to prevent kids from taking (but hardly any kids on NS).  Kris

Thanks everyone, I am covering all bases and have a couple of magnetic hooks and also something with a sticky back to put on the door. Heading to FLL on Monday. We leave on the Rotterdam on Wednesday and transfer to Statendam in March.  Woohoo!!

On 2/10/2023 at 3:13 PM, CruiserKris34 said:

We were on NS & the magnet hooks in the cabin worked great!  However, the 2 magnets I brought for the outside door did not stick on the door but the metal frame above, which was find for me because I normally put them up higher to prevent kids from taking (but hardly any kids on NS).  Kris

This was my experience as well, on NS.  The wood veneers on the doors prevent the thin "sheet" magnets used for door signs from sticking to the doors... but more substantial magnets seemed to work.  The frames around the doors only have wallpaper on, them, though, so the sheet magnets work fine around the door.  Pretty much all the walls work fine for magnets, inside the cabin.

• Thanks 1

We use the 1" round magnets from Harbor Freight.  We've found them to be quite strong and fairly inexpensive and are stronger than the thin "sheet" magnets.  We also use command strips as they don't leave residue.

• Like 1

My advice is if you are going to use magnetic hooks, get the heavier duty ones (35 lbs or more) versus the 22/24 lbs ones.  The lighter duty ones will hold a shirt and maybe a windbreaker, but you have to gently hang the garment on the hook to avoid pulling it off of the wall. 

Mrs Fan kind of dropped a shirt on one of the lighter duty ones and it fell off the wall and rolled somewhere under the couch.  I could not find it to save my life.

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

I found hanging wet shoes to dry near the ceiling ventilation ducts handy too - using the heavy duty "rare earth" magnets. 

That's a great tip!!!  We have been traveling with two heavy duty (80lbs) magnets for years.  Got them on Amazon.  They will hold my pocketbook, or anything lighter than that.

on cruise channel I follow recommends these hooks, he says they're really strong: "Neosmuk Magnetic Hooks Heavy Duty,130 lb Strong Magnet with Hook for Fridge, Super Neodymium Extra Strength Industrial Hooks for Hanging, Magnetic Hanger for Toolbox, Cruise, Grill, Coat and Storage".  

Note that I haven't checked Harbor Freight, which is a good place to look for these types of things.

I cannot imagine needing anything stronger than 80-100lbs.  I always worry when I am taking my magnets off the wall that I am going to pull the paper backed panel off with it.  It's that strong!!!  One hook will be strong enough to hang my walking shoes if they get wet.  Thank you again for that tip.

PS - I understand that Harbor Freight is a great place to purchase batteries and paint brushes, as well.  I have never been in one, but there is one about 2 miles from me.  I will be visiting the next time I need any of the mentioned items. 😀