Disembarking in Miami

Norway_cruiser

Hi,

is there an immigration check when disembarking in Maimi after the cruise? I have booked a rental car from MIA after the cruise. Would preferably get off the ship early, go to the airport and then return with the car to pick up the rest of the group. But then the kids would get off the ship with their grandparents which might complicate things maybe? 

Yes there is. I say plan for the worst and hope for the best. Our experience (cruise ports in Jamaica/Columbia/Panama) was terrible. The facial scanners were not working and it took hours to get through immigration. Those with non-US passports were in a longer line.  There was a woman collapsed on the floor that was taken away by an ambulance. Pack your patience, water and wear comfortable shoes if you have any of the ports that I listed as part of your itinerary.

• Like 1

Agree with @mnpurple

Did a B2B our first 10 days we went to Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica etc and immigration was very tough in Miami when we got back. They weren’t using facial recognition, they kept stopping the process so people were lined up on the gangway for hours. It was bad. 
The ship didn’t clear until almost 2 pm. Many people missed flights etc. 

The next part of our B2B we stayed in the Bahamas and debarkation in Miami was much quicker. 
We did express carry off and we were off the ship and through immigration by 7:30 am (facial recognition was working this time) 

If your cruise goes to any of those countries plan for a lengthy immigration process. If it doesn’t you should be able to get off very early with express carry off 

• Like 1

In October when I returned from Panama/Colombia/Costa Rica, the facial recognition scanners were not working, and it took several hours to clear the ship. Last month the facial scanners were working, and I was off the ship very quickly.

Edited by JT1962

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

In October when I returned from Panama/Colombia/Costa Rica, the facial recognition scanners were not working, and it took several hours to clear the ship. Last month the facial scanners were working, and I was off the ship very quickly.

Was the second cruise also returning from Colombia etc?

On 2/12/2023 at 11:07 AM, Norway_cruiser said:

Hi,

is there an immigration check when disembarking in Maimi after the cruise? I have booked a rental car from MIA after the cruise. Would preferably get off the ship early, go to the airport and then return with the car to pick up the rest of the group. But then the kids would get off the ship with their grandparents which might complicate things maybe? 

Yes, you need to clear customs in Miami. I suggest that you do the self assist checkout and walk off at earliest possible time. Uber to airport and drive back. The rest of your crew and luggage may not even be ready by the time you get back depending on debarkation scheduling.