Portree - no Carnival excursions yet - other ideas?

Joanne G.

I am on Carnival's British Isles cruise in July.   As of today, no excursions are available for Portree.   The two companies whose names I came across in my searching are either no longer in business (Skye Minibus tours) or are no longer doing their shore excursion tour planned around port times (WOW Scotland).    While the town looks charming, the scenery in the surrounding area is quite spectacular, and that's what I would like to see.    I keep hoping Carnival will offer something, but if they don't, what other options can I explore?   Any possibility of arranging something upon arrival with a local tour guide?   It does not look like a big city at which a line of taxis will be waiting!  Thanks for any information.   

If it were me, I would definitely book something beforehand. Portree is really just a little village. One thing to think about is traffic congestion on Skye. It’s not unusual to sit for hours in jams ( Skye is heavily overtouristed and nearly everyone arrives on the island by car and most have no idea how to drive on single track roads) so make sure if you are going DIY you leave plenty time to get back to the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scottishclover said:

If it were me, I would definitely book something beforehand. Portree is really just a little village. One thing to think about is traffic congestion on Skye. It’s not unusual to sit for hours in jams ( Skye is heavily overtouristed and nearly everyone arrives on the island by car and most have no idea how to drive on single track roads) so make sure if you are going DIY you leave plenty time to get back to the ship. 

Totally. Bear in mind only 10,000 people live on Skye and Carnival Pride holds more than 2,000. That’s a BIG influx of people on an island without the infrastructure to cope, in the middle of the Scottish school holidays and the first week of the English ones when it’ll already be as busy as it gets.

Edited by gumshoe958

We are on the July 21, 2023 Pride, so maybe the same sailing as you. For Portree, we have deposits with Sandra's Cruise Tours, which I found because they were recommended to us by several other cruisers we know, as well as some people we met in a Platinum/Diamond part. There seems to be one tour choice per port. The website was being revamped and the new one is due to go live soon, so that will be when new bookings can be made, as far as I understand. I am also watching Carnival's site almost daily to see if they open anything up. We have a family group of 8 and all the ports are new for everyone, so we are all very excited! @Joanne G. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:13 PM, Alegeeter said:

Joanne, I think I’m on your cruise (7/21-28?) and we would also like to book a Portree excursion. Perhaps we can book one together?

Yes, that's the cruise I am on.   Are you on the roll call?   I will keep you in mind if I come across something.  

• 2 weeks later...

We are on an August sailing this year and have booked a 6 hour private tour with Gus's Taxi Tours for this port.  They seem to have good reviews online and have been very prompt in responding.  They are willing to basically create the tour for us, hitting the most popular locations.  

• Thanks 1