Front of ship

poinsettiaplate

Hello experienced O travellers:  I am considering booking the Marina for the Arctic Explorer cruise from Copenhagen to Reykjavik.  The only A4 Concierge Verandah available is at the very front of the ship on Deck 9.  Am I liable to have a great deal of rocking and rolling in that location?

Does the ocean have motion?  You are in the North Sea so you could expect stormy weather. We certainly experienced it near the Shetland Islands. The time of year and the weather patterns may give you an idea as well.  Just plan ahead, travel with a variety of motion sickness alternatives including medications.  Patches or pills or wrist bands and ginger can all help. Are you subject  to motion sickness?  If not, don’t talk yourself into it as my DW tells me not to be a wimp. 
We just rocked and rolled through Drakes Passage a couple weeks ago in the Antarctic region and we lived to tell about it.  😇 If you really want to go on this itinerary, book it and request a Waitlist for other Stateroom options. Movement of the bookings always happens so select a room option that moves you to a more mid ship location. You can even consider stateroom options that are on the lower decks, 4 or 5. You have choices and everyone can tell you their rock and roll stories but you are the ones cruising. 
Enjoy your Oceania cruise.  Mauibabes

• Like 4

I remember some rough weather some years ago when we did a similar itinerary.  I spent a day lying in bed ... Don't remember what cabin we were in. When in port, no problem!  So if you are prone to rough seas problems, you probably would be better off midships and lower as Mauibabes says!

It's hard to predict what you will encounter as to what we encountered years ago ... There was a cruise in O's early days when the seas going from the Panama Canal to Aruba were so rough that the captain took us further out into the real ocean.  Other times the seas in the same area were like glass.

Mura

Yes if the sea is rough you'll get more rocking an rolling.  The key is rough seas.  We were on Sirena for a cruise up Norway last august.  We chose a midship stateroom thinking the north sea would be rough.  It was not during our trip but can be.  Just off the Spirit cruising Sydney to Aukland in January.  We were in a suite at the very front.   Tasmanian sea was very rough.  However DW and I apparently have turned into sailors.  The extreme motion didn't bother us.   It was a challenge at times walking down the hallway...

On 2/14/2023 at 7:42 PM, poinsettiaplate said:

Hello experienced O travellers:  I am considering booking the Marina for the Arctic Explorer cruise from Copenhagen to Reykjavik.  The only A4 Concierge Verandah available is at the very front of the ship on Deck 9.  Am I liable to have a great deal of rocking and rolling in that location?

We were just on Riviera (Jan.31-Feb.10) We were in cabin 8009. We kept hearing this booming noise as the ship plowed through rough seas in the Caribbean. It was very disturbing at night. We know now not to book that far forward(then again,it was a guarantee cabin) We will avoid that in the future, so if I were you I'd avoid being too far forward.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:17 PM, poinsettiaplate said:

Thanks to everyone for assisting me with this.  I have chosen to move up a category and go toward the middle of the ship.  The North Sea didn't seem like a place experiment with the front of the ship.

We did a Baltic cruise where we hit what the crew said was the worst storm of the season. I think we were on Celebrity and had a balcony. We had to stuff a rug under the door because the wind whined in through the door so loudly, and we felt like we were slipping head to toe in bed! And did the ship ever creak!!!! They cancelled activities and heels were not allowed- there were motion sickness bags in every corridor every few feet.