Reservations for MDRs

Our one and only cruise so far was on the Bliss to Alaska last year when ships were sailing with reduced capacity.  On that cruise, dining in the MDR was easy with no waits, and I didn't even consider that MDR reservations were possible.  Now, as I prepare for our April cruise on the Escape, I am seeing people post about making reservations for the MDR.

Are reservations needed on a full ship?  Are the waits that bad without them?  It sort of defeats the concept of Freestyle Cruising.  And if they are needed, when and how do I make reservations?  Thanks in advance for the info.

Just off the Epic. If you have a MDR reservation just walk to the front of the line and tell them and they will seat you.  They start taking MDR reservations at 5:30 and the line is long IMO.  When we arrived for our 7:30 reservations…both MDR snd specialty dining, there was always a line of at least 30-50 people waiting to dine.  So if you can make them before boarding do it.  Also call the toll free number if you can’t make the reservation on the NCL app…sometimes there are glitches that can be resolved over the phone.

I made reservations for the two MDRs on our upcoming cruise on the Getaway.

It was open for booking so I did.

I wanted the early seating at 5:30 pm.

I booked Tropicana, Savor and Taste.  and 2 specialty restaurants.  The other nights I left open for the restaurants that you cannot reserve.  

1 hour ago, lorijeannj said:

I made reservations for the two MDRs on our upcoming cruise on the Getaway.

It was open for booking so I did.

I wanted the early seating at 5:30 pm.

I booked Tropicana, Savor and Taste.  and 2 specialty restaurants.  The other nights I left open for the restaurants that you cannot reserve.  

You won’t be sorry when you see the line…and can go to the front desk to be seated…lol