Help with port activities and timing

Calicoskies1234

I have some questions regarding our port times and excursions. We port in Juneau from 230-11pm. We want to do the Whale Quest and Orca Point Lodge +salmon dinner (at lodge.) I’m not seeing available times listed for this excursion yet. It would be doable to do this excursion straight from disEM, correct? This tour is operated by Allen Marine Tours but their website asks that we book via NCL.  It runs about 5 hours. Then, upon finishing that tour are there suggestions for something else to do in Juneau after?  Or should we just return to ship? Not sure what stays open in Juneau on a Tuesday evening. I’m guessing it will be 8pm-ish after that tour. 

Our next port is Skagway 7am-815pm. We plan to do a train + bus tour with Chilkoot Charters. Please give advice if we should do the train up and bus down or vice versa? Also, should we do this tour right from disEM or later in the afternoon? We’d like some time to shop and explore in town as well as fit in a meal. I am thinking to do the tour early then find lunch in town after? 

Our Ketchikan port is short, 7am-115pm and I understand Ward Cove is a 30min-ish shuttle to/from town. This leaves us barely 4 hrs. Is there a short but worthwhile excursion here or are we best off just shopping, walking town and grabbing lunch? I’ve read about the Ketchikan Ducks, the Trolley tour, Totem Bight SP, Lumberjack show.  

Last port is Victoria BC 8pm-12am. Not sure what we can do with this odd late port time. 

Juneau - Shops should be open until around 9pm with ships in port.  You could grab a drink at one of the "colorful" bars downtown and meet some of the locals.  

Skagway - I prefer train up, bus down and I always go to Lake Bennett.  More chances to see wildlife in the morning and I can put in headphones and sleep on the way down.  You will be fed on this excursion if you do the morning tour.  I love the spruce tip beer at Skagway Brewing and they have great halibut and chips, but it is always packed.  

If you're at Ward Cove, it might be strategic to sign up for an early short tour.  I believe people with ship excursions get the first busses to town.  Bering Sea crab tour is my favorite if you have time.  Ketchikan is very walkable and the is a free downtown shuttle that will take you to Totem Heritage Park and Creek Street.  If you like fish, wildlife, or archaeology, visit the Soho Coho for some very unique tee shirts by Ray Troll.

The Buchert Gardens tour is doable in Victoria, although many people just stay on the ship.

I have finalized Juneau. Jayleens Alaska sent a great email and I booked a 6person tour with her company. Very excited!  Yea, I’m the type of person that books tours 16months out.  She can get us at port 330 and we will be back with 3 hrs to walk Juneau. 

Edited by Calicoskies1234
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 2:22 PM, Calicoskies1234 said:

Does anyone know if I sign up for the NCL Totem Bight SP excursion if they pick us up at Ward Cove or do we still need to shuttle to Ketchikan to meet the tour? 

Very likely they will pick you up at the ship.  There's not really a place in downtown Ketchikan to stage coaches.