Where To Stay?

Len3

Hubby and I recently returned from a 10 night cruise on the Norwegian Spirit and one stop was in Barbados. We just loved it and would really like to spend a 7 to 10 day vacation there. My question are - where to stay (we're in our 50's), do we need a car and where to eat. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hubby and I recently returned from a 10 night cruise on the Norwegian Spirit and one stop was in Barbados. We just loved it and would really like to spend a 7 to 10 day vacation there. My question are - where to stay (we're in our 50's), do we need a car and where to eat. Any suggestions are appreciated.

What’s you budget?

Barbados can be expensive. Some of the elite hotel rooms rent for $6,000US a night in high season. On the low end, one can find rooms for $200US a night, or less. Hotels are generally cheaper on the south coast and east coast. The west coast seems to be the most expensive. As you know, summer and shoulder rates are lower than winter rates.

As far as eating, it too can also be expensive. You can pay $13US for a burger, fries and a shake at Chefette (like Burger King) or $120US for dinner for one at The Cliff. However, there are many excellent restaurants between those two extremes.

If you’re staying a week or more, a car is the only way to go. They rent fairly cheaply. Or, you can take public transportation since you won’t be in a great hurry (great way to see the island, too!).

I’d Google ‘Barbados lodging’ and look over what’s offered so you’ll get familiar with the pricing and location.

Please feel free to return and ask more questions as you define your land vacation on the island.

I agree with Ming. Your budget will decide where you stay. for Brand Names you will only get The Hilton. Sandy Lane would be on the expensive end but there are lower cost hotels and apartments to be had.

as for food.. I'm curious why Ming paid US$13.00 for a burger fries and shake at Chefette.. I'm going to assume you mean for 2 people.. cause I've never paid that much.. It's on average about BBD$10.00 - BBD12.00 for this meal per person. I would say for a nice meal you can expect to pay maybe 50-75.00usd per person, that would be an average.. Ming has given you the highend (although it could go higher depending on the restaurant the menu).

The need for a rental car would depend on where you are staying and what you plan to do.

keep asking questions and look forward to your stay in Barbados.

by the way.. you are doing what the Barbados Toursim Authority hopes all Cruise ship passengers become. Long Stay visitors. Thanks

we have stayed in barbados 3 times and used different hotels each time. while barbados is an expensive island, it can be done on a moderate amount. we have used the blue orchids (moderate), accra beach hotel (moderate) and barbados hilton (expensive). barbados is wonderful and we enjoyed our stay in all three. by all means rent a car. accra beach hotel was in some ways to us the best. nice beach and pool area. across the street from a mini-mall with good coffee and baked goods in a kiosk. the chefette was also nearby for meals at about $10 US for 2. try the rotis!! nice restaurants are expensive but save them for special nights and frequent the local eateries the rest of the time. the beaches and the people are why you come back and that part of the trip is free. enjoy.

steve

• 3 weeks later...
we have stayed in barbados 3 times and used different hotels each time. while barbados is an expensive island, it can be done on a moderate amount. we have used the blue orchids (moderate), accra beach hotel (moderate) and barbados hilton (expensive). barbados is wonderful and we enjoyed our stay in all three. by all means rent a car. accra beach hotel was in some ways to us the best. nice beach and pool area. across the street from a mini-mall with good coffee and baked goods in a kiosk. the chefette was also nearby for meals at about $10 US for 2. try the rotis!! nice restaurants are expensive but save them for special nights and frequent the local eateries the rest of the time. the beaches and the people are why you come back and that part of the trip is free. enjoy.

steve

I totally agree that there are some inexpensive places to stay in Barbados, I have been 4 times and I like to stay on the South coast in the Rockley/ Worthing area. Getting around with public transportation is easy,taxis at night are inexpensive, the beaches are great ,I like Oistins on a Friday night, Boatyard, Harbourlights and St.Lawrence Gap for nightlife.

I have also stayed at Accra Beach Hotel and found it to be very good value and well located ( my favourite Bubba's Bar is right accross the street). I also like the hotels on Worthing Beach, like Coral Sands: http://coralsandsresort.com/

and when I go back I want to try a stay at Coral Mist or Blue Orchids because I love the beach there:

http://www.coralmistbarbados.com/

Archived