Gear to wear when snorkeling

mulder

Ok, I just bought split flex fins, silicone face mask and snorkel all from US Diver. Any body with any experience with US Diver? Is it quality stuff?

My other question is, do we need a water sock to go under our fins and do we need to wear the life vest when snorkeling. I have gotten conflicting answers from people I know who snorkel. What are the cons and pros to the life vest?:)

Ok, I just bought split flex fins, silicone face mask and snorkel all from US Diver. Any body with any experience with US Diver? Is it quality stuff?

My other question is, do we need a water sock to go under our fins and do we need to wear the life vest when snorkeling. I have gotten conflicting answers from people I know who snorkel. What are the cons and pros to the life vest?:)

US Diver's priced right. I always believe you get what you pay for. If you're asking will your mask fall off and your fins disolve, then I can say safely "no". If you're asking can I use these for 10 years, probably not.

You didn't say if you had closed heal fins or open heal fins with a strap. In either case, I at least recommend a pair of neoprene socks (you can find them at any dive center or on the internet) to at least reduce the chance of blisters.

As far as the life vest when snorkeling, more and more snorkel boats are requiring them. The cons to a dive vest, can't "duck dive" under the water if they're solid or, if air filled, inflated. Also I always find them riding up my neck while snorkeling so there's the comfort factor. But for most people who snorkel, it's definitely more safety for them (since most don't understand the dynamics of their water content and the bouyancy of salt water. :)

Randall

We've never used, nor felt a need for, snorkeling vests. Except one place (can't remember where) that the current was very strong.

But all ship sponsored, and some private, snorkeling excursions we've been on have required them. In this case they always provide them and always have had inflatable ones. They didn't care if you inflated them or not, just that you wore them so you'd have them if you needed it. When deflated they did not interfere with diving down a bit.

I like wearing the light, inflatable vests when snorkeling. I just inflate a hair and it keeps me very buoyant with little effort on my part.

When snorkeling, dh & I tend to do more floating than swimming. We've found this doesn't disturb the fish and we get to see plenty of sea life.

Also, since I'm not an exceptionally strong swimmer, the vest lets me enjoy snorkeling more.

The one thing you didn't ask about is also very important, protection from the sun. If you think that wearing a t-shirt will protect you, you are probably in for a surprise. A wet cotton t-shirt is practically transparent to the burning UV rays. You either need to use plenty of sunscreen applied at regular intervals, or wear an article of clothing specifically designed for UV protection. http://www.sungrubbies.com is a good place to start. My red-headed, fair skinned DS wears a long sleeved water shirt on the beach and in the pool. The only time he has gotten burned is when he didn't wear the shirt.

A wetsuit or dive skin will protect you from the sun as well as give you a little more physical protection in the water from "pokey" things. A wetsuit also adds a little buoyancy so you'll float better.

Finally, don't forget to prepare you mask before use. If it is a decent mask, it will have glass, and the glass needs to be polished with some toothpaste to reduce the fogging. Just put a small amount on the inside and rub it in for 3 - 4 minutes, then rinse it clean.

Also I always find them riding up my neck while snorkeling so there's the comfort factor. But for most people who snorkel, it's definitely more safety for them (since most don't understand the dynamics of their water content and the bouyancy of salt water. :)

Randall

The best vest I have found is the Scubapro Cruiser

resize?sq=160&uid=180477600&mid=20881

Its a complete vest and does not ride up like the typical snorkel vest.

But of course you pay for it! :D

Archived