Norwalk on Grandeur of the Seas

cyelee

I just got the Grandeur today, and yes the Norwalk joined our cruise population! I traveled with my girlfriend, her college-aged daughter and three of her college girlfriends. My girlfriend's daughter came down with the virus, and was extremely ill. So ill, that they went to the doctor and was given a shot, other medications, and confined to her cabin for 24 hours, and her three roommates were also confined.

There were hand sanitizer everywhere on the ship. No one was allowed to serve themselves at the Windjammer, all done by crew.

All public restrooms, hand railing, and elevators were constantly being "sanitized" with a bleach solution. Unfortunately, it took a day or so before everyone was aware of the "bleach", and a lot of folks had clothing ruined!

RCL will be compensating the girls with a cruise credit, but don't know how much yet.

Will try to answer any questions.

If you just got off the ship today, the you are the 3rd cruise in a row who has gotten the virus. Obviously, whatever they are doing, it isn't good enough.

I really think that there are "sick" cabins on these ships. They may clean and sanitize public areas but what about the staterooms? When someone is ill and debarks, are the pillows removed and destroyed? The bedding drycleaned? Are the bathrooms bleached? I don't think so.

I plan on bringing plastic covers for the pillows, rubbing alcohol, Lysol and a small continer of bleach. I will clean the room myself.

I really think that there are "sick" cabins on these ships. They may clean and sanitize public areas but what about the staterooms? When someone is ill and debarks, are the pillows removed and destroyed? The bedding drycleaned? Are the bathrooms bleached? I don't think so.

I plan on bringing plastic covers for the pillows, rubbing alcohol, Lysol and a small continer of bleach. I will clean the room myself.

Don't forget the carpet.

You can worry about it or take reasonable precautions and know that you are with 2000+ of your new closest buddies in a self contained enviroment. It happens this time of year and it's not that the ship is sick rather someone brought it on board.

I am thrilled that they are not allowing people to serve themselves in the Windjammer, that alone will help tremendously!

Yep sickness. Any plane, any hotel room, any public place for that matter is going to have germs flying around and you have the potential to catch something. I almost always catch something off a long plane trip. Seems to me a ship will be the same - self contained and yes you are likely to catch something if you don't take precautions. It sounds like the ship is doing its best to clear the virus - but I guarantee there's people who should be quarantined that are not reporting their illness to the ship - kind of hard to control. I would be far more concerned with contracting hepatitis A from the ice/water on the excursions.

I plan to get lots of rest, hydration and 2 weeks of enchinacea prior to boarding in May (hopefully the ship will be clear by then) I also plan a trip to my doctor prior to my trip to see if she can give me a Hep A vaccination and a prescription in the event I do get the norovirus.

I always take disinfectant spray, purell and travel wipes, my own pillow as well as my medicine kit: bandages, cold/flu pills, vicks, and pepto bismol, etc.. You really only have to get sick once on vacation to learn it's best to bring a small stock of your own remedies from home rather than try to buy ($$$)on your trip.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.....

I was with a group of 23 people who just returned from this ship yesterday. None of us were impacted by this illness at all. No one got sick in our group. Maybe it does have something to do with your cabin. We had inside cabins on the aft side of deck 7, and oceanview cabins on the port side of deck 4.

Archived