Princess Pop Idol

Simru12

We'll be on the Golden in April (first time cruisers) and I have a question about the "Princess Pop Idol" contest.

Is it an organized thing (do I bring sheet music to perform) or is it more of a bad Karaoke nite? I plan to participate either way, just wanted to be prepared.

Thanks

David

Princess version of Idol is actually a step up from regular Karaoke, although that is offered on the ships, too.

Here's the way that "Pop Star" works (at least when we've seen it on our last few cruises):

Each night people sign up to participate in the preliminaries of the competition. Some nights there might be as few as three singers, other nights up to a dozen. The audience usually gets to vote for who will move on to the finals. On a couple of our cruises, members of the entertainment staff have selected the semi-finalists. Princess has extensive lists of available Karaoke disks.

On the last night of the cruise, there are usually six contestants - one from each semi-final. They have to perform the same song they did during the previous round. The audience votes for the winner with input from staff.

There is also nightly Karaoke not associated with the Princess Pop Star competition. Many of the contestants will use this as a "practice" or "warm-up" for the competition.

I hope this helps.

Chris

We are on the Golden in July and my daughter hopes to participate in this. She has a great voice but I dont suppose she will win for one minute because from past experience of watching this it is the competitor with the biggest family who will win because the bigger the family group they obviously make the loudest cheers and that is how the winner is defined. A bit unfair really.

Belle, you do have something there about the size of the family, etc. We watched the Princess Idol competition last year on The Star. There really was some excellent talent. I loved the person that came in #2, and not that there was anything wrong with who won, she was good, but it was family and friends that got her the title. But it is all in fun and you do hear some good talent, so just have your daughter enter for fun and practise for the future (;) ) Who knows, maybe she will come in first or second......:)

Wow!

Thanks for all the responses so quick. I kinda figured it was a karaoke type thing. What's the top prize? A deck of Princess playing cards? LOL

It could be a fun thing to do anyway. Not planning a lot since, like I said, it's my first cruise and I want to leave the options open.

David

We are on the Golden in July and my daughter hopes to participate in this. She has a great voice but I dont suppose she will win for one minute because from past experience of watching this it is the competitor with the biggest family who will win because the bigger the family group they obviously make the loudest cheers and that is how the winner is defined. A bit unfair really.

That's why I think the cruise staff should select each night's finalist. Makes it more fair and more based on genuine talent.

I agree with you ... generally the person traveling with the biggest group of friends and family will always win this sort of thing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

On our recent Coral trip, the staff chose finalists and the ultimate winner was voted on by paper ballot from the studio audience. The best singer did win and she was far better than the singer with the largest family group. Some of the finalists really weren't very good - but some were excellent. I can't recall the top prize --- I think it may have been a bottle of champagne and a model of the ship.

Archived