Another Newbie Dress Code Question

wilal

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for asking about something that has probably been endlessly discussed but my husband and I are leaving on our first Alaska cruise this May. We will be traveling on the Summit on cruisetour #2.

I think that we are fairly clear on the dresscode for dinner and evening wear (after 6) but I haven't found much on the daytime dresscode, except of course the advice to layer, which we appreciate.

I would appreciate any assistance you could give us on what is considered to be proper attire on the ship, in port when we are going on shore excursions and on our land tour. Are jeans acceptable for any of these?

Some of you sound like you are amazing at packing but we are unsure of how to pack for both of us for 12 nights while staying within the airline weight limit and ensuring that we have all that we need.

We had heard that Alaska cruises were more informal but from the posts I have been reading it sounds like that may not be the case.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aleeta

Yes, jeans are more than acceptable during the day especially on an Alaskan cruise.

The weather will range from sunny warm - especially on the land portion to cool and rainy. At least it did on our cruise. Layers definitely are the way to go. Make sure you have rain gear and hooded sweatshirts and you should be fine.

Aleeta:

You are so right! Daytime cruise wear is not INFORMAL!!! Go for the more casual--- Shorts ( if warm enough), capris, jeans, etc. expecially for excursions.

Save your informal wear for after 6, plus your formal wear. Also a couple evenings will be casual. Check your final documents for the number of informal, formal and casual evenings!

Hope you have a wonderful time up NORTH!! :D

Thanks for all the help! We are very excited about our trip to Alaska and really appreciate having a forum like this where we can get our questions answered. I'll feel better about packing now. (Although I'm sure we'll have more questions on other topics.)

Archived