Mega-ships no more: couple of questions from an Oceania newbie

karscott

Hello,

Finally making a leap from Princess/RCL/Celebrity 4000+ passenger cruises and giving Oceania Insignia a try later this year. I have a couple of basic questions to which I cannot find answers on the O web site:

1. Are the walls and doors in staterooms magnetic? I've become used to bringing along magnetic hooks/clips for various purposes and would like to know if they'll be useful on Insignia.

2. What type of stateroom entry does Oceania use (e.g. card/medallion/key?) I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Karen

We were on Sirena 11/18-28/2022.

- The door is metal. I like to buy refrigerator magnets from the ports and put them on my outside door. The walls were more miss than hit. Wife had to find a spot over by the dresser mirror where she could hang her magnetic hooks.

- O gives you your cruise card at check-in embarkation as an ID and room entry. They also provide a small folding wallet-type holder for the card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdeb said:

Most of the walls, and all of the ceiling, are magnet friendly.

Unfortunately, not any more.  When the cabins were refreshed, the wall coverings reduced/eliminated the usefulness of the magnets.  On my last cruise on Riviera in January, I used my magnets on the back of the door.  I was on Nautica last September, right after her refresh, and the magnets did not work.  I did not try using them on the back of the door.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, karscott said:

Thank you @debbyma @MEFIowa @jackdeb and @CAG - I appreciate your replies. 🙂

Thank you for asking these questions. We're on the Nautica next month and I wondered the same about the magnets. I love it when someone asks a question I had so I know I'm not the only one, LOL.