Pulpit Rock speed

paul28

12 minutes ago, paul28 said:

Thanks, 1:45 with an 8 year old...perfect!

And only 45 minutes back down!  

I will say that these numbers are on the low end from the various posts I've found about the hike.  Most seem to say "allow 4-5 hours" for the hike itself.  They must be the type of people that sit on the edge with their legs hanging over taking selfies of each other for 2 hours.  😀

• Haha 1

Even if you can hike more quickly, if you're there on a busy day, there are several sections where you'll need to match the pace of the people in front of you. Also, be aware that shaving time off the hike won't make much difference unless you have your own transportation to get back.

21 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

They must be the type of people that sit on the edge with their legs hanging over taking selfies of each other for 2 hours.

Or the type of people who understand that conditions change, and although they may have done the same route in 45 minutes in the past, wet rocks, inclement weather, an accident, etc. could easily increase the time needed to make the trip safely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kaisatsu said:

Even if you can hike more quickly, if you're there on a busy day, there are several sections where you'll need to match the pace of the people in front of you. Also, be aware that shaving time off the hike won't make much difference unless you have your own transportation to get back.

I am trying to determine if I can hike up and back and hit an earlier bus.  What time do the trails usually start getting busy during mid August on a Sunday?

On 3/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, paul28 said:

I am trying to determine if I can hike up and back and hit an earlier bus.  What time do the trails usually start getting busy during mid August on a Sunday?

It depends on the weather. A Sunday will be more crowded than a weekday, and since shops are closed on Sundays, it's the tradition day to "gå på tur." If the weather is nice, it could get busy with local traffic fairly early. However, local hikers do typically move faster than tourist crowds.

If the weather is good and you're out earlier in the day, you may be able to do the roundtrip in 3-4 hours instead of the recommended 5-6, but I wouldn't count on a plan that required a sub-4-hour time. Not only is it risky, the hike up isn't one of the most scenic. There isn't much to see until the final stretch at the top of the cliff.

We did Pulpit Rock in 2016. To put in context we regularly hike at home in Scotland and in the Alps and had our daughters with us at the time who were 11 and 13 at the time. We were up and down pretty quickly, in less than 2 hours, and managed to catch an earlier bus ( in fact had to wait for it). I remember thinking we were way quicker than the recommended time but that is usual for us in the Alps too. We spent 20 minutes at the top as it was very windy. We had a clear run uphill but took just as long coming down as we were continuously stepping aside to allow the uphill climbers to get by. It did get pretty frustrating and does not make for a relaxing hike. You need to keep weather conditions in mind too. We got to the top just before the weather closed in and it was slippery going downhill ( some people were wearing Converse 😩 and there was one woman on our cruise who broke her ankle on the hike) . I would not do this hike in bad weather as it’s not worth it. I would like to go back to Norway on a land trip and start this hike really early to avoid the crowds.

Btw our favourite hike on our cruise was Sukkertoppen in Alesund. Amazing 360 degree views from the top on a good day and nice relaxing hike with locals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1