Hidden ducks?

gregma60

I am sorry but I just don’t see the point of these ducks. You find a duck then what? Post the fact that you found it on FB ( for those of you that still use FB). Then what, you hide it again or you bring it home and throw it out when you get home?

No plastic water bottles allowed, but please bring on your plastic ducks by the 100s for the crew to have to deal with. This sounds like one of those things the cruise lines will not clamp down on as to not offend anyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I do find it a bit ironic that in a recent thread on here about the HAL Mariner tiles given to passengers for decades now from the cruise line that some people said they leave them on the ship or when they get home they discard them yet here are people treasuring rubber ducks they found on a cruise. Go figure...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

I am sorry but I just don’t see the point of these ducks. You find a duck then what? Post the fact that you found it on FB ( for those of you that still use FB). Then what, you hide it again or you bring it home and throw it out when you get home?

No plastic water bottles allowed, but please bring on your plastic ducks by the 100s for the crew to have to deal with. This sounds like one of those things the cruise lines will not clamp down on as to not offend anyone.

Fun. The point is to have a bit of fun. Why do people do scavenger hunts? Go beach combing for shells? Collect whatever? Why do people do slot pulls on cruises? Why do some do bar crawls? Fun. All of us  have different things we like to do. You may not like ducks but I’m sure I could find one of your hobbies pointless too! 

And from what I understand, a lot of the crew enjoys finding the ducks. Perhaps they send them to their children or keep a special one to remind of a special voyage. Most cruisers do this for the same reason. They will either take them home or leave for someone else. I don’t think we have to worry about hundreds of plastic ducks floating in the ocean. And I have never heard that the cruise lines object to this.

To the OP who suggested Oriental Trading. Thank you. Haven’t thought of them since my GS leader days! Will have to try them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Here is a new onboard game: see if you can find the individual yogurt cartons; the single serve condiments; small cereal paper cartons;  individualyl sized hand cream, soap and hair care products, carry on water in plastic bottles.

Disappearing prizes awarded for each cruise, sent to your home address only if you provide the postage.

• Haha 1

Not sursure what fun an adult can have finding a plastic duck.  Given how many are brought onboard (I read on another forum one person took 90 on her cruise) I just see plastic pollution.  As for the crew enjoying them - I hear different from some in Housekeeping who consider them a nuisance.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, sansterre said:

I have hidden ducks on three ships, most recently on the Rotterdam Grand Africa last Fall.  It seems that most ducks were found by staff cleaning crew as they were always gone the next day and nothing was ever reported on Facebook.  

You too can participate in hiding them!  Just follow the rules in the cruising ducks guide.

We participate in hiding/finding ducks no matter the ship we're on, but don't report on FB as we're not on FB. I'm sure there are others doing the same - everyone is not on FB. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

It was.  And the one Jeep owner I know is not happy that it's migrated to other places.

Perhaps, but if the truth be known, cruise ships started it in 2018.  Jeeps didn't start til 2020.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...