Single newbie

mazj

I have cruised a good few times in the past, mostly with Celebrity.  My husband sadly died in 2018 so I have not cruised since then but am thinking of trying again.  I am drawn to Saga because they are small ships that have a fair number of single cabins.  I would like to hear of the experiences of any single travellers and what Saga has to offer for people travelling alone.  I like to think that I am a very sociable person who enjoys meeting people.  Thank you in anticipation.

Hi, and welcome.

Saga cater very well for solo travellers. With over 100 single cabins on each ship, roughly 1 in 10 passengers are occupying one. Single cabins are of a good size and are spread throughout the ship.

The ships are of a very sociable design, with many areas where passengers can mix and mingle. The Living Room, a multi purpose lounge/cafe/bar at the heart of the ship, is particularly good in this respect.

There is a singles get together in the Britannia lounge every evening before dinner, and some go down to dinner together. Although there are tables for two, most tables in the restaurant seat between 4 and 8 and if you go down on your own you will be asked if you are happy to share one; most passengers are. I tend to favour a table for 6; large enough to have a good mix but not so large as to make around the table conversation difficult. You may be seated with couples or with other singles, or a mix of both.

On shore days, solo travellers going ashore independently are invited to meet other solos who are proposing to do so and would like to do so in company in the Britannia lounge.

There is a dedicated solos lunch on one sea day.

You will have a wonderful time.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. 
I am waiting for the summer 2024 brochure and hope to go on a 7 night Norwegian Fjords cruise to get me started.  Even though I have cruised numerous times I have never been to the fjords.

Thank you again, you have given me confidence to book.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:01 PM, mazj said:

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. 
I am waiting for the summer 2024 brochure and hope to go on a 7 night Norwegian Fjords cruise to get me started.  Even though I have cruised numerous times I have never been to the fjords.

Thank you again, you have given me confidence to book.

So sorry for your loss.  I cruise with my husband and often comment that ladies travelling alone always seem to have a good time - do hope you have the confidence to try it and that it works out for you. I have just booked my first four cruises with Saga having been welded to P&O for the past 40 years - they seem to offer a superb experience so I think you have chosen the right company.

My late husband and I cruised with Celebrity for many years but I thought Saga seemed a better option for solo cruising.  I am sure I will enjoy it.

I know I can opt to share a table in MDR, which I would do, but what happens with the speciality restaurants.  I don’t want to sit by myself like “billy no mates”.