Juneau Questions

LuckyStar

We have been to Juneau on a cruise about 10 years ago and are considering just taking the bus or taxis to get to Glacier Gardens, which is AWESOME, btw, and perhaps Mendenhall Glacier.  Since we have so long in port, we have found a hiking trail that we might like to see so we have considered also renting a car so we can take our time.  Has anyone else done this and who did you go through?  The only rental car we have found near the port is Avis.  Thanks in advance!

We rented from Avis on Mill Street in 2019. It was a 15 minute walk from the main cruise docks (closer to the AJ Dock). We returned the car after the office closed by using their drop box. We were satisfied with the rental.

I recently saw a Youtube video talking about a Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls Shore Excursion.  They took the Glacier Express bus which was offered once they disembarked in Juneau.  At that time he said it was amazing and it was $45.  We are also thinking of what we want to do in port for our next cruise to Alaska which is this August!  We were in Alaska in 2016 and saw some amazing things but are looking forward to visiting again and seeing some more cool stuff!  

We rented a car the last time we were there a few years ago.  From what I can tell, the only place to get a car now is from the airport which is about a $25 cab ride as I understand it.  We met a another couple from our ship at the rental counter as we took the last car.  We invited them to come with us since there were no more cars.  Turned out they had the same last name as us and were from Texas as well.  We had a good time.

The car was handy to get to the glacier and do some riding around, but ultimately got in way after that.  Hard to find parking near the other stuff we wanted to do and ended up walking anyway.  Thinking this year, we will just do the bus and save the effort.

JB

2 minutes ago, jbooth2099 said:

We rented a car the last time we were there a few years ago.  From what I can tell, the only place to get a car now is from the airport which is about a $25 cab ride as I understand it.  We met a another couple from our ship at the rental counter as we took the last car.  We invited them to come with us since there were no more cars.  Turned out they had the same last name as us and were from Texas as well.  We had a good time.

The car was handy to get to the glacier and do some riding around, but ultimately got in way after that.  Hard to find parking near the other stuff we wanted to do and ended up walking anyway.  Thinking this year, we will just do the bus and save the effort.

JB

The Avis office on Mill Street is reopening for the 2023 season. No cab is needed.

• Like 1