MSC Europe Newbies

LuckyStar

Hi, all, we are experienced cruisers in the USA, having been on a few different cruise lines but we are considering a MSC cruise from Athens for Nov 23.  Are there any differences in what to expect from this company, specifically, or from a cruise in Europe?  I assume all food and lodging is included in the price.  Alcohol, WIFI and shore excursions are extra.  But I actually saw a post that you are charged for water with dinner and while it sounds picky, I just want to know these things in advance. 

Thanks very much in advance!

Jenny

(Unbottled) Water is free at the buffet if you get it by yourself. 

Water was never free in the MDR, this is totally normal for Europe. 

But UK guests get the water free in the MDR, to be correct, guests with a booking from MSC UK. 

Gratuities are mandatory for most, but not for US guests as with the US lines. 

So not really too much differences. Guests especially from Italy love Gala, but nobody expects Americans, English or Germans to take part, so take it easy and just do what makes you happy. 

15 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

(Unbottled) Water is free at the buffet if you get it by yourself. 

Water was never free in the MDR, this is totally normal for Europe. 

But UK guests get the water free in the MDR, to be correct, guests with a booking from MSC UK. 

Gratuities are mandatory for most, but not for US guests as with the US lines. 

So not really too much differences. Guests especially from Italy love Gala, but nobody expects Americans, English or Germans to take part, so take it easy and just do what makes you happy. 

Exactly what I needed to know.  Thanks very much!

If you're sailing out of Athens the ships MSC uses are older and from their smaller classes of ships.  You're not talking about big ships with lots going at the same time or with a lot of dining options.

I was on the Lirica a while back and truly enjoyed the smaller less chaotic environment.  YMMV so I'd do some research on the Mistral class (smallest) and Musica class (next size up) to make sure they meet your expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

We are experienced cruisers also from America and we went on the Meraviglia for a European cruise a few years ago. Overall, it was a great experience but it was definitely very different. All announcements were made in 5 languages, English being last. The shows avoided any dialogue. The week we were on the ship they said it was less than 10% American onboard, which made for an interesting experience for my kids in the kids camp.

When we booked it said on our reservation that we received unlimited mineral water in the dining room (bottled water). We often asked for an extra and would bring them back to the room.  I think this is for reservations made in the USA and UK.

Actually, I am looking right now at cruises next summer out of Athens as my son's high school graduation cruise. We all have fond memories of our European cruise, the good and the not so good parts,  and are ready to do it again! 🙂

• Like 1