#1 place to buy diamonds???

sherrintxs

I have seen many posts about buying diamonds and haggling on prices, but rarely see where they did this. Dh wants to buy me another ring while in Cozumel, but where in your opinion is the best place to do this and do they haggle????

TIA

Maybe it's just that I'm not a jewelry shopper but I would assume that you wouldn't find any great deals on diamond jewelry in Cozumel. They don't mine diamonds in Mexico so I can't see why they would have bargains on ths stones. I would also be very cautious about buying stones in Cozumel (other than at the international jewelry stores) because, unless you're a gemologist, how could you tell if they're real?

Just my 2-cents but I would consider buying jewelry that's more native to Mexico, like silver.

Everyone has talked about the deals on their rings, I am just trying to figure out where they are doing it at. Dh has all ready said I am coming home with a new wedding ring set, just trying to find out where to go to find a nice ring and the good deals everyone keeps talking about.

Not all the stores in Cozumel will "haggle". Some, like Los Cinco Soles have fixed prices.

I always thought that St. Thomas was the place for jewelry shopping. Cozumel is for diving and buying vanilla or tequila.

Cozumel has become a major selling point for the big diamond chains from NYC that work with the cruise industry. There are millions of dollars sold every month, believe it or not. Just Diamond Creations has over 10 stores on the island, and many others have moved in. They pay top dollar to be on the cruise maps, and then aggressively woo and lobby cruise directors and port lecturers to get the people in the stores, it's huge business, and there's kickbacks at every turn....

Several years ago I worked for one of the big chains here, just for 3 months, and I saw first hand the unbelievable mark-up/haggle game played by the sellers and buyers of jewelry. Just to give you an idea, from the price tag , they can "discount" all the way to 67% on some stuff, and still make a killing, it's outrageous.

And yes there are some stores selling fake and colored rubies, and other gems, and giving out "certificates" of authenticity of dubious value. The only advantage of buying at a cruise sponsored store, is that at least the cruise line stands behind their recommendation, and if there is a problem with a purchased item from one of the stores on the official map cruisers are given, they will intervene on behalf of buyer with the store, as they were the ones who sent the client there in the 1st place.

After my experience on the inside my advice would be to buy in NYC.

Just curious, but if it is the same NY stores that are gouging here, why would it be better to buy from them in New York instead of Cozumel? Don't the same companies stand behind their ¨guarantees¨ whatever those are?

I have a cousin that is a jewelry designer and his only comment about the purchase of loose diamonds is they are not always cut according to standards and that causes the need for special designed settings for the odd shaped stones.

He has never mentioned fake stones however.

My advice would be to buy from your regular jeweler and haggle with him,unless you really really know your stones.I personally have been taken and i know of quite a few others also.If you ask me if i'd take the chance again?(absolutley NO !!!!!!!!!!)

Thank you, everyone for the advice. Dh and I all ready had planned on picking me up some sterling silver while we are Los Cinco Soles getting our vanilla and tequila, think that will be the one stop jewerly buying place also. ;)

• 8 years later...

We were in Cozumel and I bought a gorgeous emerald bracelet from "Joyeria Millenium". They had to add a piece to it and when they brought it back there was so much commotion I didn't examine the bracelet again. When I got home I had it appraised and it was worthless!! I called my bank immediately and they did a courtesy of reverse funds and I had to have an appraisal to them in 10 days to make it permanent..I did. Not a fun experience!!!!

My wife was adamant about buying a new (read larger diamond) ring while at St Thomas. Bought a very nice ring at Diamonds International.

When we got home I took the ring to an independent appraiser, Fred Cuellar. He valued it several hundred less then we paid.

I called Diamonds International home office in NYC. Send them a copy of the sales receipt and appraisal. Much to my surprise. they reimbursed the difference.

BTW:- I recommend his book "How To Buy A Diamond" before buying.

http://diamondcuttersintl.com/about-dci/meet-fred-cuellar/