Do Most Antarctic Cruises Have Dedicated Videographers?

number one eagles fan

We'll be sailing the Endeavour on October 31st for Silversea's Falkland Islands, South Georgia Islands, and Antarctic cruise. Is it likely that there will be a videographer onboard? And if so, do they make their videos available for purchase at the end of the cruise? I've seen some videos on YT and would love to have the opportunity for a copy of a professional video to go along with my own photography.

Yes, and they provide a free copy to all guests at the end of trip.  However, the quality is all over the place.  Mine for January was about 9 minutes of narrated views of our trip.  But it sounds like many others this season were a 2-3 minute video slideshow.  

• Like 1

Just now, Tex1 said:

Yes, and they provide a free copy to all guests at the end of trip.  However, the quality is all over the place.  Mine for January was about 9 minutes of narrated views of our trip.  But it sounds like many others this season were a 2-3 minute video slideshow.  

Thank you for the information. I've seen a few videos and they have varied in length. I guess there are no guarantees. 

Thanks for the information.😁

On the SS expedition ships I've been on, including Endeavour, they do have an expedition photographer who will make a video / photo record.  They give you a thumb drive in a nice box at the end of the cruise.

The quality does depend on the person, and what they've been able to record.  In the Galapagos, one of the guests who was snorkeling got a fantastic video of a huge manta ray, and gave the video to the expedition videographer, and he included it in the end-of-cruise recording.  So it is possible that some content can come from other people.

Also, be sure to ask your fellow passengers for copies of their videos, if they are showing you some good stuff.  I've gotten great videos of killer whales, etc. from other passengers on the ship.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

On the SS expedition ships I've been on, including Endeavour, they do have an expedition photographer who will make a video / photo record.  They give you a thumb drive in a nice box at the end of the cruise.

The quality does depend on the person, and what they've been able to record.  In the Galapagos, one of the guests who was snorkeling got a fantastic video of a huge manta ray, and gave the video to the expedition videographer, and he included it in the end-of-cruise recording.  So it is possible that some content can come from other people.

Also, be sure to ask your fellow passengers for copies of their videos, if they are showing you some good stuff.  I've gotten great videos of killer whales, etc. from other passengers on the ship.

So good to hear that there will "likely" be a videographer on our trip. 

I am so excited about this trip.

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, number one eagles fan said:

So good to hear that there will "likely" be a videographer on our trip. 

I am so excited about this trip.

Thank you!

You are going to have the trip of a lifetime.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

We've done two Silversea expedition cruises to date. On our first one in Greenland about five years ago, we had to pay a fairly hefty price for the video, but after seeing it on the final night of the cruise, I decided it was worth having. On our recent Antarctica trip, we found the current style is that they provide the video for free. But the video of our trip was much worse. It was fairly short, with a number of artsy type shots, but it didn't capture our cruise nearly as well. Perhaps this varies from cruise to cruise and videographer to videographer. I don't understand why they pay to have a photographer and videographer aboard and then skimp on sharing their output with customers. (There's probably no better marketing tool than sending 200 passengers home with awesome videos every week!) So I think you can count on getting something, but I'd shoot as much as you can on your own to make sure you have the memories you'll want of your trip. 🙂 

• Like 1