Beetlejuice Musical Coming to Viva

phillygwm

On 3/23/2023 at 12:09 PM, UKstages said:

This will be a 90 minute “tab” version of the show. The show in its original form on Broadway ran two hours and thirty minutes, with a fifteen minute intermission. So they’re cutting about 45 minutes out of the show. 

Not a bad idea. Modern audiences have a shorter attention span in general, and when on a cruise there are so many interesting things to do it may well be that audiences don't want to commit the full time to one activity.  Certainly when we saw Cats on Oasis of the Seas, a lot of people didn't return after intermission and I believe when they updated the ship they cut the show similarly. 

8 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Not a bad idea. Modern audiences have a shorter attention span in general, and when on a cruise there are so many interesting things to do it may well be that audiences don't want to commit the full time to one activity.  Certainly when we saw Cats on Oasis of the Seas, a lot of people didn't return after intermission and I believe when they updated the ship they cut the show similarly. 

This is what the Broadway shows in Vegas have done forever. Same thing but different.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

This is what the Broadway shows in Vegas have done forever. Same thing but different.

Right! They also do it for the "Jr." version of Broadway shows when they license them to schools and community theatre and I don't remember ever once feeling like the show was missing anything as a result. I like Broadway shows plenty but many of them at some point drag a bit and start to repeat themselves - often literally with the reprise performances of various numbers. It's a rare show that won't benefit from a little editing.

20 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Not a bad idea. Modern audiences have a shorter attention span in general, and when on a cruise there are so many interesting things to do it may well be that audiences don't want to commit the full time to one activity. 

stories should take the length of time it takes to tell them.

"six" takes only about seventy minutes to tell its story. "beetlejuice" takes close to two and a half hours. If you believe the ninety minute version of "beetlejuice" tells the same story as the two and a half hour version,... then go find charles dickens and tell him to take out all that repetitive ghost nonsense out of "a christmas carol." i mean, really... do we need three ghosts? seriously, each one laboriously drones on and on... it's all the same stuff!

oh, and it would be best to tell arthur miller to cut all that "well liked" stuff in "death of a salesman." how many times can will loman use that phrase? highly repetitive!  there's really no point.

and that groundhog day movie! it's just the same damn thing over and over. nobody needs to see that. why do they make us sit through that?

20 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Certainly when we saw Cats on Oasis of the Seas, a lot of people didn't return after intermission and I believe when they updated the ship they cut the show similarly. 

people walked out on broadway, too.

that's because it was an awful show, not because they had something better to do.

21 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I generally enjoy Broadway shows and ship production shows. While I did not see it on a ship, Cats is the only musical I have ever seen that I did not like. Such a disappointment since I like both kitty cats and live shows.

• Like 1

I am certainly glad to hear that Beetlejuice will not be two and a half hours. My back and attention span would not last that long in  a ship theater! I am hoping to book a trip on Viva as I do love that new ship smell, and would like to see a new show.

I also want to let people know that Summer was a really good show. I enjoyed Six, but jokingly tell my husband that I would have liked it better if it was Five. It felt a little long to me. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

stories should take the length of time it takes to tell them.

"six" takes only about seventy minutes to tell its story. "beetlejuice" takes close to two and a half hours. If you believe the ninety minute version of "beetlejuice" tells the same story as the two and a half hour version,... then go find charles dickens and tell him to take out all that repetitive ghost nonsense out of "a christmas carol." i mean, really... do we need three ghosts? seriously, each one laboriously drones on and on... it's all the same stuff!

oh, and it would be best to tell arthur miller to cut all that "well liked" stuff in "death of a salesman." how many times can will loman use that phrase? highly repetitive!  there's really no point.

and that groundhog day movie! it's just the same damn thing over and over. nobody needs to see that. why do they make us sit through that?

people walked out on broadway, too.

that's because it was an awful show, not because they had something better to do.

All righty then, thanks for the snide attack. You win, congratulations!

Happy theatre viewing and have a lovely day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

All righty then, thanks for the snide attack. You win, congratulations!

there is no need for a personal attack.

i was offering an opinion about the creative process and storytelling.

those who are creative artists can create a ninety minute - or a ten minute - musical if they so choose and if they feel that attention spans are shorter and they will lose the audience's attention. cramming a two and a half hour award-winning story into ninety minutes shortchanges the creative artists and disrespects the audience.

On 4/29/2023 at 2:30 PM, KmomChicago said:

And because it's a show about DEATH! Nothing to worry about people, you all went to muster on time, safety first.

It was fabulous on Broadway and we saw it the night before boarding a cruise in Bayonne / Port Liberty so the connection totally works for me. It is very funny and should appeal to a wide audience. Much better than, oh, say, CATS. 

Saw Beetlejuice on Broadway and they do a very good job of changing the lyrics to songs to match the environment so I am betting they will add cruise humor to it.  I would guess the opening number they will change the lyrics to say if you die on this cruise the ship will not stop.   

Also, the original Broadway death of Adam and Barbara was falling through the floor boards but since they don't have the trap door on the tour, its been changed to electrocution.  

• Thanks 1