accessible hotel near port of Miami

orkaren1

We will be going on a cruise leaving from port of Miami.  We are driving from Orlando and debating between driving the 4 hours the morning of the cruise or driving down the day before and staying at a hotel.  Any advice on decent and affordable hotels/motels not too far from the port that have good accessibility for wheelchair users?  Also would it be better to stay in Miami near the port or go further out and have a short drive the morning of the cruise?  TIA

“Affordable” is a highly relative term. Dome may not blink at a $350 room. some may.

I would expect any hotel I would be willing to stay at near the port of miami  to be $300 plus tax between Thanksgiving and April 15. The same room would likely be $250 plus tax in June.

None of the large name hotels is better of worse as far as accessibility is concerned

I almost always have an easier time with hotels where I have status, such as diamond status or visit frequently  enough that I have a relationship with staff. 

Are you driving your own vehicle? Are you trying to return the vehicle to a rental organization before your cruise?

You might consider staying at The Riverside in Fort Lauderdale. It is about a 40 minute drive from the Port of Miami (12 minutes from Port Everglades).

It is where we usually stay, and literally where I grew up. I’ve known various hotel staff members for decades. When ladt there, we were with some of my high school friends. My wife was a bit surprised when we pointed out where my friend lives- she just moved back into  her parents’ house after their death- you could see it from the restaurant- that close.

Several of the restaurants in the immediate area, including the hotel’s own Riverside, have both food and beverage happy hours.