Gate1 Lake Como to Lake Maggiore itinerary change

Thompsam

1 hour ago, twototravel said:

That’s probably why our hotel was changed. We were originally booked at the Hotel Metropole Suisse and now our reservation shows the Barchetta Excelsior. Although basically located around the same spot on the lake, the new hotel is a couple blocks back.

I hope your itinerary holds and you get to go to Lake Como.

• Like 1

I was just about to book this exact trip for October 2023! Agreed, the whole reason I am booking this particular trip is for the Lake Como extension. I, too, would be very upset with this itinerary change. 

Please post here if your itinerary happens to be changed back to Lake Como.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jofernandez said:

I was just about to book this exact trip for October 2023! Agreed, the whole reason I am booking this particular trip is for the Lake Como extension. I, too, would be very upset with this itinerary change. 

Please post here if your itinerary happens to be changed back to Lake Como.

Will do but I think the chances are slim and none.  AMA and Avalon still offer Lake Como land extensions.  There may be others as well.

On May 11 I will be in Switzerland starting a Gate1 tour.  There is often overlap between the Switzerland tours and Northern Italy.  I will see if the guide has any more information about what exactly in going on in Como.

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, twototravel said:

All, we are in Lake Como now. Our guide said reason for change was due to hotel availability only. There is construction but it doesn’t affect tours.

Thanks for the update.  seems like either Gate 1 dropped the ball and didn't book the hotel rooms they needed advance or, more likely in my opinion, they weren't willing pay the rates the hotel wanted so they opted to move to another lake where hotels were cheaper.  This unexpected itinerary change is still pretty disappointing.

Enjoy your time there.  I hear it is beautiful.

Guest ldtr
On 5/11/2023 at 1:33 PM, Thompsam said:

Thanks for the update.  seems like either Gate 1 dropped the ball and didn't book the hotel rooms they needed advance or, more likely in my opinion, they weren't willing pay the rates the hotel wanted so they opted to move to another lake where hotels were cheaper.  This unexpected itinerary change is still pretty disappointing.

Enjoy your time there.  I hear it is beautiful.

Currently on trip. Have run into 2 tours from other companies, not gate1, that also said that their itineraries have been changed from Como. So it is impacting more than Gate1. 

My guide did say that they did a tour that included Como recently. They did stay in Como, but did have to go to a different town to due the cruises.

Currently in Zermatt. Ran into one tour from Trafalgor that was originally supposed to spend 2 nights in Zermatt, but now staying an hour away and got bused into zermatt for the day instead. They were told everything was closed in Zermatt. Not true, though it is the period after the ski season ending, and the summer tourist season starting, so a number of shops and restaurants are closef. My Gate1 guide said that several hotels in Zermatt, including some normally used by Gate1 are closed.