Urgent Question about Non Refundable Deposits

Robkat

I'm sure a thorough search on this forum would provide some answers here, but we are in a bit of a time crunch, so I'm asking for confirmation/information from US residents, who have recently booked cruises, NOT in YC.

Our travel agent has provided us with a quote for a cruise in September, and is holding a cabin for us, in a balcony cabin with Fantastica experience, for a 10 night Canada/New England cruise.  His quote states that "The deposit amount is $xxx and is non-refundable from time of booking".  The final payment is in June '23.

We had heard that deposits for YC are non-refundable, but everything we've seen tells us that other than YC and suites, deposits are refundable up until final payment.

Are we wrong about this?  We've called MSC and asked the question "generally, and have been told that deposits for these circumstances are refundable (until final payment).  When we re-questioned our TA , he told us that his District Sales Manager had told his agency that ALL deposits we're going to be non refundable.

Anybody from the US who has made a reservation very recently, (and not in suites or YC), can you confirm whether or not your deposit was noted as being non-refundable.  And, of course, if anyone has heard any confirmation of this info, we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

Edited by Robkat
Correction

1 hour ago, Robkat said:

I'm sure a thorough search on this forum would provide some answers here, but we are in a bit of a time crunch, so I'm asking for confirmation/information from US residents, who have recently booked cruises, NOT in YC.

Our travel agent has provided us with a quote for a cruise in September, and is holding a cabin for us, in a balcony cabin with Fantastica experience, for a 10 night Canada/New England cruise.  His quote states that "The deposit amount is $xxx and is non-refundable from time of booking".  The final payment is in June '23.

We had heard that deposits for YC are non-refundable, but everything we've seen tells us that other than YC and suites, deposits are refundable up until final payment.

Are we wrong about this?  We've called MSC and asked the question "generally, and have been told that deposits for these circumstances are refundable (until final payment).  When we re-questioned our TA , he told us that his District Sales Manager had told his agency that ALL deposits we're going to be non refundable.

Anybody from the US who has made a reservation very recently, (and not in suites or YC), can you confirm whether or not your deposit was noted as being non-refundable.  And, of course, if anyone has heard any confirmation of this info, we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

Find a new TA. I just booked and the deposit is fully refundable up to final payment.

• Like 1

Thanks, mvh, for the reply, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Promos are only used once on the cruise, and somewhere in the Terms & Conditions I'm sure it says that they have no monetary value.

But are you saying that your deposit is now non-refundable?

We had another conversation with our TA and he swears up and down that his MSC DM told him that all deposits are non-refundable from time of booking.  

But then this morning, without any other explanation or referencing our discussions, he sent us a new quote, which did not have the notation about the deposit.   We're not feeling very confident in why he did it.  

Did he find out that he'd been wrong, or was he just appeasing us?

This why we'd like to hear from others who have recently made deposits on cruises... to see whether your deposit was refundable.

Thanks.

Edited by Robkat

28 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Thanks, mvh, for the reply, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Promos are only used once on the cruise, and somewhere in the Terms & Conditions I'm sure it says that they have no monetary value.

But are you saying that your deposit is now non-refundable?

We had another conversation with our TA and he swears up and down that his MSC DM told him that all deposits are non-refundable from time of booking.  

But then this morning, without any other explanation or referencing our discussions, he sent us a new quote, which did not have the notation about the deposit.   We're not feeling very confident in why he did it.  

Did he find out that he'd been wrong, or was he just appeasing us?

This why we'd like to hear from others who have recently made deposits on cruises... to see whether your deposit was refundable.

Thanks.

What I read on the web is that they may have a promo for a reduce rate, but it may say NR in front of it meaning non refundable. However, I have never seen that and I have cancelled twice before with no issues include recently. You should be fine, just very odd your TA would say that.