Adding a child to an existing booking

patterson3

My wife and I are planning on adding our 3 year old to our existing Ascent booking. I assume this is relatively easy, however, I had a couple of questions about the rate they will charge. Is it a flat rate for a 3rd person? Are we better off waiting for Celebrity to run a promotion like "50% of 3rd person..." or "Kids sail free", etc., etc?

If we add a 3rd, does it change the rate that we are booked at? (I ask because the cruise has already gone up over $200 pp since when we booked).

Thank you in advance.

6 minutes ago, patterson3 said:

My wife and I are planning on adding our 3 year old to our existing Ascent booking. I assume this is relatively easy, however, I had a couple of questions about the rate they will charge. Is it a flat rate for a 3rd person? Are we better off waiting for Celebrity to run a promotion like "50% of 3rd person..." or "Kids sail free", etc., etc?

If we add a 3rd, does it change the rate that we are booked at? (I ask because the cruise has already gone up over $200 pp since when we booked).

Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an offer from Celebrity for a discount on a third person.  Royal Caribbean runs those kinds of sales more often because they cater more towards families.  All of the recent discounts have been some percentage off the second person in the stateroom.

In regards to your question about pricing of adding a 3rd person, I think the answer is that it depends.  If you're forced to move to a new cabin category because you now need a room that requires more than a 2 person occupancy, then you'll need to pay the prevailing rate for the room.  If you're in a room that currently has a 3 person occupancy or higher or if there's availability for such a room in your current category, I'm thinking only the third person would be charged at the going rate of the 3rd person.  The rate of the first two passengers should be unaffected.  That third person would have to be added at the same fare type of the first two passengers (cruise only or AI).  This is based on what I've run into before with Celebrity.

Royal Caribbean is a bit different on adding people to reservations because their room category codes are based on the max occupancy of the rooms.  Adding a person then means changing categories which results in a refare at the going rate for the whole room.  Celebrity has a mix of max room occupancies within the same category code.

Your best bet is just to call in and see how the price changes for your booking.  Please report back what you find because there are many scenarios in this situation that lead to different outcomes.

55 minutes ago, patterson3 said:

Is it a flat rate for a 3rd person? Are we better off waiting for Celebrity to run a promotion like "50% of 3rd person..." or "Kids sail free", etc., etc?

Do a mock booking for 3 persons.  As far as waiting, they haven't changed the current promotions in months.

35 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for an offer from Celebrity for a discount on a third person.  Royal Caribbean runs those kinds of sales more often because they cater more towards families.  All of the recent discounts have been some percentage off the second person in the stateroom.

In regards to your question about pricing of adding a 3rd person, I think the answer is that it depends.  If you're forced to move to a new cabin category because you now need a room that requires more than a 2 person occupancy, then you'll need to pay the prevailing rate for the room.  If you're in a room that currently has a 3 person occupancy or higher or if there's availability for such a room in your current category, I'm thinking only the third person would be charged at the going rate of the 3rd person.  The rate of the first two passengers should be unaffected.  That third person would have to be added at the same fare type of the first two passengers (cruise only or AI).  This is based on what I've run into before with Celebrity.

Royal Caribbean is a bit different on adding people to reservations because their room category codes are based on the max occupancy of the rooms.  Adding a person then means changing categories which results in a refare at the going rate for the whole room.  Celebrity has a mix of max room occupancies within the same category code.

Your best bet is just to call in and see how the price changes for your booking.  Please report back what you find because there are many scenarios in this situation that lead to different outcomes.

Thank you! I will let you know how it goes!