Upgrade Bid - do these things mean anything?

BCOS

Since January, we have been booked in a Club Balcony Suite on an Alaskan cruise that sails in <40 days.

A week or two ago I noticed in my Messages that I had the opportunity to bid for an upgrade. I did not receive an email. There were several options - penthouses, Havens, and a 2-br family suite. I put in a bid for the regular 2-br family suite. The Haven version had a minimum bid that was about $200 more pp.

A couple of days ago I looked to see if the minimum bids for the other options were still at the same amount, and saw that the opening bids Haven 2-br family suites were lowered to about $150 less than the opening bid had been for the regular 2-br. In red text, it said, "Pricing above reflects a discount. Act fast!" I put in a bid for the Haven version that was just a little bit more than what I had done for the regular 2-br. 

Having read here that if you've already pre-paid your gratuities before getting a Haven upgrade that you don't have to pay an additional fee, I decided to go ahead and pre-pay our gratuities yesterday. The NCL website kept not letting me put those in my cart, so I used the Chat feature to inquire about whether the problem was me or the website, and the Chat agent took care of the transaction for me.

Shortly thereafter, when I looked at my Messages, I saw two things:

1) I had a "You're booked!" message, as though I had just booked my cruise

2) The "Let's get you upgraded!" message was no longer in my inbox, leaving me without the trail I've followed to look at the status of my offers and the potential for making another one

I did happen to still have tabs open in my browser for those pages specific to my offers, so I've saved those URLs and my two offers still show as pending. However, I'm concerned that somehow having pre-paid my gratuities bumped our bid-making capacity since the message has disappeared.

Anyone have any experience with what is happening?

Edited by BCOS

Just returning to report a new facet. I'm not using the true amounts that are showing for me in case there's some reason that's not kosher. I'm making the amounts up for the purpose of illustration. I can get to this page and interact with it, even though all evidence of my having the opportunity to bid has been removed from my Messages.

Last week:

2-br family suite's minimum bid: $500

- I placed a bid of $550

2-br Haven's minimum bid: $800

- I didn't bid

Two days ago:

2-br family suite's minimum bid: Still $500

- I left my bid

2-br Haven's minimum bid (Pricing above reflects a discount. Act fast!): $300

- I bid $575

Today:

2-br family suite has the red-font discount message, with a minimum bid of $200.

Assuming I'm still free to bid, is it typical for the minimums to change? And should I consider adjusting bids based on the new minimums?

• Like 1