Place to stay in Wasilla (or Palmer)?

tempoct

Can't really help you but just wanted to say that on our Alaskan Adventure we are actually spending 3 mights in Wasilla. Good friend of ours lives there and has offered to provide our accomodations.

I do know that there is a Best Western there that I looked into before Deb offered us a place to stay.

Well if 30 miles is not to far from where you want to be, then Eagle river has a few places. the Microtel and the Eagle river motel, rates for the summer for Eagle River are:

Summer Rates range from $89 - $139 plus tax

Rooms - Queen, Queen/Full, Queen/2 Twins, Queen/2 Full

Kitchenettes - Pets on approval - Cable Television

Children under 11 are free.

if you head over to eaglerivermotel.com there is a availablity area.. to see what is booked.. the suite is gone for a lot of months already

One of the nicest places in the Wasilla/Palmer area is the Best Western Lake Lucille Lodge (http://www.bestwestern.com/lakelucilleinn). Right on the lake and a great place for dinner. Other good places include the Mat-Su resort (http://www.matsuresort.com) and the relatively new Alaska Grandview Inn (http://www.grandviewak.com).

The suggestions on Eagle River are also good.

Thanks all.

Jim, I don't really wanna go back down to Eagle River since I'll head up the next day. :(

Chenega, have you stayed on either Best Western or Mat-su resort? How are they? Can't find any review any where.

The Mat-Su resort seems to better fit my need since it's quite close to the next destination on the next day (heading Hatcher Pass).

:)

Not much of a problem with either regarding closeness to Hatcher Pass since they're within a few miles of each other and a 15-20 minute drive to the road to Hatcher Pass from the Palmer side. Make a left turn onto the Palmer-Wasilla Highway from the Parks Highway (the local Fred Meyers is on the corner) and the road takes you right into Palmer. Another left turn on the Glenn and you'll find the signs for Hatcher Pass (there are a few shortcuts you could use but they involve a more complicated route).

MatSu resort is long established and Best Western Lake Lucille is the newer of the two. I know people who have stayed at Best Western and really liked it, particularly the rooms with a view of the lake. My wife and I have eaten at their restaurant many times and really like both the food and the view.

If you are going through to Hatcher Pass on Friday, I would highly recommend a visit to the West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Center in Palmer (less than a mile out of town on the Palmer-Wasilla Highway). They are one of two facilities in the United States (the other is in Honolulu) and offer free tours of the place at 1pm, 2pm, and 3pm. They've really ramped up operation since the events in the Indian Ocean in December of 2004.

Archived