Vancouver...places to avoid? Must see?

OK, for those of you that live in that beautiful partof the world..or those lucky enough to have visited several times...

Are there any parts of town to avoid...ie: crime/drugs/'bad/etc?

And what are the "Must see" places?

Ive been told 'go to GasTown'...but dont know what to do there...and that parts of it are 'dicey'...which part?

Also Ive been told "go to Granville Island'...again...what should I do once I get there? ;) ;) ;)

Also, I have heard the area around Balantyne Pier is not the safest...any comments on this>?

Thanks soooo much!

-Kandy

safe if you keep your wits about you.Ballentyne Pier-nothing to see and do around there. Gastown has a clock and some places to buy Tee Shirts. Granville Island has lots of art galleries,shops and a great market and places to buy lunch.

You might want to look into the Vancouver trolley. It stops at most of the high points in Vancouver- Stanley Park, Gastown, Chinatown, and Robeson Street. One ticket is good for 2 days. You can get on and off at any stop on the loop. Stanley Park is beautiful and the aquarium is wonderful. While in Gastown you might want to see Storeyum, a performance depicting the history of Vancouver. Other sights to see are Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge. They are very close to each other and easily accessible by public transportation. I'm sure whatever you do you will have a great time. Vancouver is a fantastic city.

I agree with Casey2 - the Vancouver Trolley Company's trolley tours are awesome - a great way to see the city, because you can hop on and off at any of the stops (which pretty much cover all of the cities major attractions). Their web site is www.vancouvertrolley.com - I think its about $30 CDN for the day.

My fave places in Vancouver are Granville Island (what to do there? what not to do there is more like it! Its great just to walk around and explore!), The Dr Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Gardens (very unique and peaceful, but you don't want to hang around in that neighbourhood at night) and Gastown (again, just walking around and exploring is where its at).

Either way, you'll definitely enjoy Vancouver :D

Oh I cant wait!!! I think Granville Island is defanitly on the list...Ive heard a lot about Stanley Park also...We get into town around 2-3 pm, I think...We plan to be pretty exausted from the day of airtravel, also...We have a stop in Victoria on the last day of the cruise...hoping to find something 'fun' to so there also:) :)

For Victoria, it depends on how long you have there. The Wax museum, The Royal British Columbia Museum, Undersea Gardens, high tea at the Empress hotel, visiting the Legislature building, taking a horse drawn carriage through downtown Victoria, Craigdarroch Castle (my personal favorite) are just a few of the many sights to see there.

You can check out the sights for Victoria at

http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/SightsActivitiesEvents/Victoria.htm

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived