Labadee Port Stop

Can someone enlighten me about this stop? Is it like a private island or a compound type structure on the beach? Does it have specific boundaries to it or can visitors travel freely outside of the area? I do realize that the current situation in Haiti is one of instability but, if possible, I would like to somehow visit with the three children that I sponsor via World Vision and who live in the northern section of the country. Would RC allow this I wonder?

I was there mid-february. It is a compound-type area - though large - that RCCL leased for 99 years. There is a fence around the perimeter. A local road runs behind the fence and there were a bunch of teenagers up the road about 50 yds watching the tourists. There were no trips outside the compound except for water trips. The rumor on the ship was that you were not permitted ashore if you were wearing camo :). There were a number of security personnel keeping an eye on things.

hi,

Unfortunately, I have been home now for a week. I was on Rccl's private beach Labadee on Feb. 28th. I really thought that it was beautiful. I loved the mountains next to the water! I felt a little funny when while exploring here and came upon a chain link fence separating these beach areas (expecially Columbus beach) from the rest of the country. Made me feel like I take a lot of stuff for granted here at home. While we do have private fences everywhere they are usually to keep others out. Here in Labadee, I felt like the fence was to keep those on the other side of Columbus beach "in". Here is a link to my pictures of Labadee.

Feel free to check out all of my pictures from the Mariner!

Darlene

I am almost positive you will not be let off the "compound". It is a fenced and guarded area that RCI owns which is beautiful. I have no idea how you could even attempt to get transportation outside of the compound. most of the RCI water staff I encountered that stay on the island say it is 1/2 hr drive to any sort of town.

~~Jen

going Platinum may 7 on Adventure!

Thanks for the pictures, Darlene. It's really hard to believe that those shots were taken in Haiti, considering how the rest of the country is fairing.

Jen, I was wondering if the people from World Vision would be able to drive out to Labadee with the kids, not me drive to them. I guess that is something I will need to check out with WV as well as RCI.

Can someone enlighten me about this stop? Is it like a private island or a compound type structure on the beach? Does it have specific boundaries to it or can visitors travel freely outside of the area? I do realize that the current situation in Haiti is one of instability but, if possible, I would like to somehow visit with the three children that I sponsor via World Vision and who live in the northern section of the country. Would RC allow this I wonder?

It is like a private island. And it is secure and a long way from any real population, so it is safe. Here is a link to some photos I took at Labadee (see the last two photos on the page the link takes you too, then click on last in the lower right corner to see the other six photos) ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=90195&g2_page=2

Labadee, or Labadie, is a peninsula of Haiti leased by the cruiseline as mentioned above. It is strictly for the use of it's passengers and I seriously doubt that you would be allowed outside of the compound unless you were on a ship sponsored excursion. I also doubt that the children would be allowed inside to visit. Only those who live in Haiti and also have a pass to work inside the compound would be allowed.

I believe i can address this since i live in cape haitian ( second largest city in haiti and about 45 min car ride but only about 10 miles) and have visited labadee each weekend to enjoy the beach. There is a very very small chance that you would get to see your kids. It depends on who the world vision people in Haiti know but i seriously doubt that they can get out there. We could but we were americans and only a few times allow out when the boat was in. I dont really think it would be fair to the kids to come out there when the ship is in as it would be overwhelming for them to see that environment. Go ahead and give it a try but i dont think it will happen. By the way where do they live? the north of Haiti is quite large.

Archived