the truth about tipping

babylene

Generally speaking, hich would describe your cruise tips?  

401 members have voted

1. 1. Generally speaking, hich would describe your cruise tips?

• I tip exactly the suggested amount
    • I round it up or down to the nearest round figure
    • I increase the suggested amount by at least 10%
    • I increase the suggested amount by at least 20%
    • I decrease the suggested amount by at least 10%
    • I decrease the suggested amount by at least 20%
    • I don't usually tip at all

Looks like that should have been 1 of the choices. That is what we do too. Put the recommended amount on our room account - then supplement with cash - throughout the cruise :D - and at the end:(

Looks like that should have been 1 of the choices. That is what we do too. Put the recommended amount on our room account - then supplement with cash - throughout the cruise :D - and at the end:(

I also do the same (Sugested amount on the Cruise Bill ) And Tip Cash Where Deserved

We Give Our Room Steward Cash at the Start of The Cruise And Tell him or Her what we expect

We also have special request at dinner And tip extra for this the last night of the cruise

We do like the fact that the recommended tips can now be added to our ending bill (if service was not up to par at the persers desk I can change the amount b/4 we depart the ship

Stur Dayton,Ohio

Next cruise Mercury January29th, 2007 San Diego to Mexico

I voted increase of 20%, but this is presuming excellent service, and is not at all a given.

I also tip people on the ship who are not on the suggested list, if they do things for us to make our trip extra special. In the past these have included certain bartenders and entertainers, among others.

We put the suggested amount on our SeaPass account, and then hand deliver extra tips to those that have really made a difference in our cruise experience. I believe in that personal interaction...everyone wants to feel appreciated and acknowledged...

Karyn

Has anyone ever tipped the Captain's Club Hostess. I saw womeone do that last cruise. We usually have a good rapport with the CC Hostess, to a very friendly point. I would feel awkward tipping a "friend". Any suggestions? We always tip @ 20% over suggested amt. And in the Martini Bar we slip the server an extra $5 every night.

we tip the suggested amounts minus the suggested tip for the head of housekeeping and maitre'd-these are senior positions and their salary should be commensurate with their responsibilities!i have rarely spoken with either.

I hope more of you reply to this poll. Remember, you don't have to comment or indicate in any way who you are! This is my first poll and I want it to be a big success!!!!! The more people who are polled the more interesting the results. Thanks!

I always take Thank You Cards and besides putting the suggested amont on our SeaPass Account, we put extra cash in and write on the card why they are getting the money. We have been really lucky because we have needed the Thank You Cards and extra cash on every cruise we have been on. The staff on the ships work REALLY hard and I really believe that a tip, smile and a verbal and written thank you, helps them thru the day.

Vie Lee

This is an anonymous poll. Nobody but yourself will know what you answered, so please be honest. How do you generally tip? (I have never posted a poll before, so I hope this works!)

Where have you been. Not seen you around since our 2004 Zenith cruise.

Being British, tipping isnt something we do as routine, here it is something that would be for service way beyond the normal expected. Nor is general tipping something i believe in. It is the companies role to pay their staff, not mine. I know this sounds mean, but i can see the day comming where staff are not paid at all!!! By carrying on with this process, we encourage companies to pay their staff badly

We are British too but we have to remember that we are not in Britain when we are cruising. They don't have a minimum wage like we do here. Stateroom attendants and dining staff work for tips. Their salary is minimal.

We always tip the recommended amount on our ship account and give extra in cash where it is deserved.

Has anyone ever tipped the Captain's Club Hostess. I saw womeone do that last cruise. We usually have a good rapport with the CC Hostess, to a very friendly point. I would feel awkward tipping a "friend". Any suggestions? We always tip @ 20% over suggested amt. And in the Martini Bar we slip the server an extra $5 every night.

How about some chocolates from the Cova Cafe...we've done that before for the Future Cruise person. She had spent quite a lot of time helping us with a future cruise, and we wanted to say thank you. Also some flowers that are available onboard are nice also.

Karyn

Too bad this is not an official study! But...almost 200 people have voted. Maybe a few more will cast their vote so that we could reach 200!!

One thing this poll shows us is that cruisers are very interested in the subject of tipping! So far, most of the votes have gone to a) exactly the suggested amount and b) at least 10% more. Since a large number of you have chosen c) rounding off the suggested amount to the nearest round figure, I think we could say that that is very close in practice to a).

Only 7 persons said that they don't tip at all and 3 said that they tip at least 10% less less than the suggested amount.

I wonder how accurate these figures are? Do you suppose that there are more non (or poor) tippers who either don't post on Cruise Critic or are afraid to say (even though this is anonymous)???

If this is an accurate cross section, then the crew is not doing too badly at all!

I (well my parents, they dont post here so I will speak for them, LOL) tip at 10% above normally, more if it was great service. I can't imagine not tipping people who are paid such low wages, but that's just me. To answer the above question about the crew doing well: I do not think this is an acurate poll. Most people on cruisecritic (and those who answer this poll), are probably better tippers than the general public. Mostly because we obviously have a huge interest in crusing (that's why we're here), and have all read so many boards about tipping, bad staff wages/treatment, etc...

I voted for the extra 20% although I probably avg more than that number. I also pre pay my tips on the shipboard account and would not think of reducing the amount unless the service was bad.

I always add some to those who have gone out of their way to provide great service. In one case, our waiter was just OK and was tipped the exact amount, but his assistant was outstanding and we gave her double!

Stay in Britain!

Tipping in some countries is not mandatory. I went to tip in Australia many years ago and the waiter was insulted. He said he was doing his job. Not fair to pass judgement.

The question I round it up or down to the nearest round figure

is ambiguous because I answered yes to that option but NEVER rounded down always up.

Archived