Caribbean Princess vs Majestic Princess

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm still trying to decide between an Alaska August on Majestic or a Canada / New England Sept on Caribbean Princess.  I've read some reviews of both but most of these reviews are from last June.   Is there anything more current to report?  I wouldn't have chosen the Caribbean P on my own but it's a group cruise.  The other was entirely my choice, solo cruise, and I like the Royal class ships better (well at least the idea of them....this is my 1st cruise).  I definitely noticed far more terrible reviews of Caribbean than Majestic, but I've learned to take all bad reviews on CC with a grain of salt.  I'd definitely appreciate any perspective.  I wonder if all the bashing of Caribbean P is justified or not.  I know it just got some improvements recently.  

You're comparing an apple to an orange with your itineraries as well as your ships.  The Caribbean was built in 2004, while the Majestic was built in 2017.  Alaska is also a whole different puppy compared to Canada/NE.  

In a nutshell, I would choose the Majestic because she is 13 years younger, is larger and is going to Alaska. We'll be on her for 14 days in May & June.

There will be some on CC that will choose the Caribbean because they hate the Royal Class and won't even think about sailing on the upcoming Sphere Class.  Best of luck with your decision and enjoy your first cruise.

• Like 1

we have been on the caribbean princess 18 times because it is our favorite ship.  however, in this case i would pick the majestic because of alaska.  out of all of our cruises alaska is the best.  lots of whales and bears on the shore and of course glaciers. like the above person said you are comparing apples to oranges on the itineraries. alaska by far is better than canada/ne.

• Like 1

Having read some of your other thread on this same question. I don't think we can help with your indecision. All points of view aside on which ship is better, the Canada option a group cruise. Go with them or don't. The Alaska option is a solo cruise by your words.

Isn't your question really whether to be with a group or travel with, I think you wrote, one of your kids?

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

If I go on this Alaska cruise it would be solo;  if I wait a year I'll probably bring one of my kids.  If I go on the Canada / New England cruise it will be solo but with a large group, so I could socialize or not.  I was leaning heavily towards the Caribbean Princess group cruise but then read about 20 terrible reviews of CP.  By all counts I prefer MP and Alaska but I really wanted the group aspect;  for perspective, I was originally booked on that Alaska and that ship with the group but I missed that group cruise b/c of a family emergency.  So the decision now is to take a ship and itinerary I wouldn't have chosen for my 1st cruise and still be with the group, or to take the cruise I had planned since 2019 (booked for 2020, 21, 22) but give up the group aspect.  I truly think I would like the Canada / New England Itinerary, but I don't like it as much as the Alaska itinerary.

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom

I was just realizing today that 1) I can book an Alaska cruise at any time, so it's not really like I have a deadline in 2 weeks--the DL is only for that particular set of reservations.  So, 2) I could cancel and keep the Canada / New England cruise and that decision doesn't have to be made until late June since it's sailing in Sept.  By late June some really important stuff going on in my life should be settled.  At that time I could either make the Canada cruise final or cancel it in favor of a different Alaska cruise (unless they are all sold out, I do realize that's a possibility).  It would be a shame to lose my deluxe balcony on Majestic Princess (I really did like that floor plan and there aren't a lot of them) and things like the helicopter tour over Alaska excursion, but since I've never been there I'm sure I'd have fun in any case.  The thing about Alaska I don't like is that the season is so short that if I miss 2023 I have to wait all the way until summer 2024.  But, it may have to be.  I really would like to go on a group cruise, as was my original plan.  This was the only group cruise with that group that worked for me for a long time.

If you decide to do the group cruise this year and put Alaska on the back burner, here's something you may not know.  NCL and Royal both have solo cabins on their newer ships that you don't have to pay the 200% supplement on similar to other lines.  The Bliss on NCL and the Quantum on Royal are two examples of solo cabined ships to Alaska.

• Like 1

Having done both itineraries and been on both ships I like Alaska on the Majestic seems more stuff do and more rural.

Debbie’s fish from Skagway Salmon Fishing Excursion on the Majestic.

Debbies Salmon.jpg

Coho Juneau.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your responses.  I decided to do the group cruise on Caribbean Princess to Canada / New England, b/c it's the only cruise with that group that I can go on in the near future.  I still want to go to Alaska very much but decided that since I could book that one at any time solo I'd do the group now and that later.  However, it was very disappointing to cancel all my hotel and excursion reservations for a 4th time.  Sigh.  At least this time I'm canceling b/c I have another cruise to go on and not for covid or family emergency.  

• Like 1