Trying to zero in specialty dinner plans - 3 night Seaside

Tom-n-Cheryl

We'll probably go the specialty route one or two evenings - for this coming Thursday's 3 night sailing. We'll likely have dinner at least 1 night in the YC. Having said that, is there a preferred evening to dine in there? We're overnighting in Ocean Cay on Friday night, if that makes any difference.

I was just looking at the menu for their seafood restaurant (Ocean Cay) and didn't see a whole lot on there that caught my eye. Perhaps the crab cake and then either the tuna or sea bass. We'll apparently have the Easy Plus drink package, and usually enjoy a cabernet with dinner (yes, even for seafood). From what I could see on their wine list, they don't offer even one to choose from. Can it be ordered anyway - and obtained from elsewhere? Please don't tell me I'd be waiting 20-30 minutes extra for that if so !

The Butcher's Cut menu appears to have many more things which are appealing. I assume that cabernets are indeed an option there, though I can't put my hands on their wine list (anyone have a copy)? Wondering if there's anything decent by the glass (be it at/below "easy plus" prices - or even more than that -- where I'd just pay the difference?), or if we'd need to purchase a bottle at 3-4x the going land price of the wine. I can say that because we're spoiled, having enjoyed many dozen bottles of premium wines on Carnival at 50% off the menu prices in their steakhouse --- thanks to their ongoing promo on the first two evenings. Caymus Special Selection for under $100 at sea? I'll take it !!

I status matched to Diamond (for some reason, Cheryl matched to Gold... go figure!!), so I'm not sure if that plays a role or not. I've read a couple references to some type of complimentary meal. How is that established/reserved, what restaurants does it apply at and, for that matter, is it honored on 3-night sailings?

Reservations - we'll probably arrive at the port about 10-10:30 in hopes of getting on early ("white tent" approach I'm told - even though our boarding documents indicate a noon arrival window). Once onboard, the first thing we'd like to do is make reservations for both of us, as well as a third person (boarding a little later than we anticipate getting on). Is that a straightforward process - since he's not in our cabin, and likely not even onboard yet? I hesitated briefly when I asked if it was straightforward - if only because most things I've been reading about MSC indicate that just because something seems reasonable or logical does not mean it will go down that way !

THANKS !

Tom

Our first cruise on MSC was when we "moved" from NCL Haven to MSC YC in Seaside. We had previously cruised on Haven's smaller ships, which do not have a dedicated Haven dinner restaurant. Our experiences in NCL's main dining room led us to book a 3-night package in the MSC specialty restaurants on our first YC cruise. We needn't have. The YC restaurant was much, much better in our opinion -- and we missed some great food there when we were in the specialty restaurants. We could request anything we desired to be served in the YC restaurant, though sometimes a bit of notice is required depending on the exact items. The wines by the glass encompassed a solid line up of all the grape varieties. Even when they did not have some type of grape that we wanted, they would obtain a bottle to pour us by the glass. They should also be able to get whatever bottles of wine you might want, even if not part of their "regular" offerings. We had Butcher's Cut filet and lamb many times (I had lamb 4 times in YC when it was not on their menu and they always told me it came from Butcher's Cut) in YC. They'll prepare it however you'd like. You may even meet the chef if he's not shy about circulating during dinner -- Jeffrey from South Africa was our favorite so far -- and be able to talk with him about the next night's courses. The possibilities are virtually endless in YC. Each cruise for us gets better and better as we realize just how much they love to cater to your wishes! Enjoy!! 🙂

• Thanks 1

First, if you are in YC you will have the premium extra drink package, so you should be good there.  We enjoyed the YC restaurant for dinner so much that I gave my "spot" for our free specialty meal to my son to go with my husband.  What we've decided to do on our upcoming trip is go to an early lunch at Butcher's Cut for our free specialty meal, and then a later dinner in the YC restaurant.  Just something to consider!

• Thanks 1

Since it can't be done ahead of time, at least on our sailing (not sure about others), how will the specialty reservation process work once we board the ship? Also, any issues booking for more than just the two of us (at a single table)?

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Since it can't be done ahead of time, at least on our sailing (not sure about others), how will the specialty reservation process work once we board the ship? Also, any issues booking for more than just the two of us (at a single table)?

Tom

Contact the concierge when you board and ask him/her to make the reservations you want.  I really think you will like the YC menus, though.  Yes, you can book for more than two in the specialty restaurants.  Not sure how many more at each venue, but at least they have four and six top tables.

Edited by JAGR
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

Also, any issues booking for more than just the two of us (at a single table)?

If the tables are still in the same basic set up, there are several two tops in a row that can be put together for large parties as well -- I think you could seat 10 or 12 people that way.

I try to steer away from most two tops, as they're typically in such close proximity to each other that you might as well be sitting at the same table as the people next to you. 

Table location can set the tone for the meal - for better or worse. I've had a couple where I felt I needed to duck/dodge every time a server would come by with a tray. Or tables that were windblown when the door to the outside opened up. My favorite is a back corner - with nothing behind me. That, however, only happens once in a blue moon !

Tom

32 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Table location can set the tone for the meal - My favorite is a back corner - with nothing behind me.

Ah, yes!  The Godfather seat!  For safety!

image.png.323269f73dd356b56a68358379928f45.png

• Haha 1