Matzatlan Hot Springs Non-Ship Excursion

DeesEscape

Hi.

My family and I will be heading out on the Carnival Panorama later this year to the Mexican Riviera on our first post-pandemic cruise. 

I am looking at outside vendors for excursions because there are none that are being offered by the ship that have any real appeal for us. Since I am the vacationer planner I usually try to find unique experiences to have on trips. I found what sounds like a great excursion being offered by The Shore Excursion Group for Matzatlan. A day at a small village an hour from the port where we can soak in hot springs, visit the small town they are in, and have lunch prepared. It's for a good price and seems like something we could enjoy in the time frame for this port. 

Has anyone done this? Would it be too risky given we would be an hour away should something like car trouble occur? I know being back to the ship on time is everything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dee

• 1 month later...

That does sound interesting and I do agree with you about the risk of breakdowns/car-troubles/late returns. 

I would suggest that you look at as many "review" websites as possible to see what other people's experiences have been with the tour group(s) you mentioned - and then take the reviews with a pinch of salt. You know the norm - it is MOSTLY only the people who are unhappy with some aspect who will write a review... .  

It might work out OK for you if you are with a tour guide in their vehicle. Perhaps ask them if they have ever had a problem with breakdowns and how they resolved the problem.

A parallel scenario that I considered for Ensenada one year was as follows:

- There are some hot springs near Ensenada and I figured that we wanted to go there from the cruise port (for the day), until I discovered that:

- There were no tour groups going there, and I would need to rent a vehicle to get there on gravel roads

- The road crosses the river or low water bridges multiple times to get there

- I wasn't too sure if I could rent a 4x4 and what they would say if it came back with any water incursion, or under-body "marks"

- the location was a rustic farm area

- risk of getting there and then the place was closed

- the time to get to the rental location, to reach the hot springs and the reverse order back to still make it to the ship on-time. 

I decided it would not be worth the effort for something where there was a risk of problems and we're stuck in a remote location.