FAS Speciality Dining Upgrade ($69) - 2 Additional - Can you purchase onboard?

gregluk

25 minutes ago, sjacobs11 said:

Worth checking out the Free at Sea PLUS package, which includes the two additional meals per person - but also includes a lot more - free unlimited WiFi, an extra $50 off excursions for second passenger, along with the upgraded drink package, which includes bottled water, freshly squeezed juices, and Starbucks.

We're on a port-intensive cruise in Europe, so not a great deal for us... but might work for some cruisers with lots of sea days. 

One thing to consider is that yesterday NCL made pretty dramatic cutbacks to the premium plus beverage package (no more Veuve, etc), so the value proposition there is getting much worse as well. 

1 minute ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

We're on a port-intensive cruise in Europe, so not a great deal for us... but might work for some cruisers with lots of sea days. 

One thing to consider is that yesterday NCL made pretty dramatic cutbacks to the premium plus beverage package (no more Veuve, etc), so the value proposition there is getting much worse as well. 

Yes. Just reading and comparing the drink lists from an earlier PDF. The PLUS package is meant to be any drink by the glass other than a few very expensive whiskeys. Does this mean the line isn't offering Veuve by the glass any longer? Otherwise, I'd think that it *would* be covered.

14 minutes ago, sjacobs11 said:

Yes. Just reading and comparing the drink lists from an earlier PDF. The PLUS package is meant to be any drink by the glass other than a few very expensive whiskeys. Does this mean the line isn't offering Veuve by the glass any longer? Otherwise, I'd think that it *would* be covered.

Correct. I was tempted to buy FAS+ for our cruise, but noticed that Veuve is specifically omitted from the list now (it was on the list a few weeks ago). At this point, it makes more sense to pay out of pocket for my morning americano at Starbucks, instead of forking over $$$ for what may end up being even more limited beverage options by the time we sail in August. 

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Good lord, they raised the price again? Now the specialty dining upgrade is not worth the cost. We did upgrade on our March cruise as the price was $70, so $35 per meal, plus gratuity. No more upgrades for us! No meal in a specialty restaurant is worth $40 on NCL. They just aren't that "special." 

I agree.   While we do pay $40 a person on land, on the ship we feel like we already paid a set value for dinner so we have no desire to spend an additional amount of money.   We are set with the two included with FAS and the two included with our status.      Last month on the Epic, we all really enjoyed the couple of meals we had in the MDR.    My BIL even thought one of them was better than the one we treated him to in the Haven.   

• Thanks 1

I want to preface this post by stating that I am not an apologist for NCL (or anyone else). I don't like the price increases for the specialty dining either, but I am not surprised. The cost of dining (and food) is up everywhere. I just about fall over when I look at the price of a steak in the grocery store these days. 

(On a side note, I just realized that I sound like my grandparents now - that is scary!)

At any rate, I don't think NCL has any good options here. Raise the price, which people don't like. Or cut the quality of the meals, which people don't like. Or do some of both, which upsets everyone. I think they are doing option 3, which is probably the worst option.

All that said, everyone's break-even point is different - so I get it if folks decide $40 per meal is too much. But it seems in line with the increases I'm seeing in shoreside restaurants.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

I want to preface this post by stating that I am not an apologist for NCL (or anyone else). I don't like the price increases for the specialty dining either, but I am not surprised. The cost of dining (and food) is up everywhere. I just about fall over when I look at the price of a steak in the grocery store these days. 

(On a side note, I just realized that I sound like my grandparents now - that is scary!)

At any rate, I don't think NCL has any good options here. Raise the price, which people don't like. Or cut the quality of the meals, which people don't like. Or do some of both, which upsets everyone. I think they are doing option 3, which is probably the worst option.

All that said, everyone's break-even point is different - so I get it if folks decide $40 per meal is too much. But it seems in line with the increases I'm seeing in shoreside restaurants.

I would agree with you...if the specialty dining food was outstanding. It's simply not. On land I can choose to have better meals at a lower cost. So, that's what I'm choosing. I'll stick with the included options onboard. Sure, that includes the Free at Sea included specialty dining, but nothing more than that. 

Personally (I know, I know, I'm a broken record), I firmly believe NCL should be charging cover charges for meals and these should be no more than a nominal fee (think $5 - $25, depending on restaurant). As @vacation44 said, we're already paying for meals. NCL is making money by us forking over specialty dining prices, plus not eating in the main dining room, buffet, etc. And yes I know I'll likely never see my opinion win the day on a NCL ship. I'm ok with that, but I'll stick to that opinion and never, ever pay a la carte for a meal. Mozzarella sticks and milkshakes at American Diner are an exception as they are generally less expensive than they would be on land. 

@bkrickles1, I agree the sushi rolls are yummy and are a good portion. Pretty much what you'd see on land. I just have an issue paying a la carte (due to my paragraph above). 🙂

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

Nothing is truly "free," even Free At Sea. We're paying a higher cruise fare than we would have if the sailing didn't offer FAS, even if we book just the room. Changes made after you book a cruise are understandably frustrating.

From our perspective, FAS made sense for my partner who can imbibe 6+ alcoholic drinks without an issue, the two specialty dining meals makes me happy (he couldn't care less), the photo package could be fun but we never buy photos normally and we won't use the excursion credit, PLUS I hear the wifi isn't worth it. It was basically a break even proposition for us to pay the service charges on the included drink package and dining package.

I wish the drink package included Starbucks and water, sigh. That would easily be worth $200+ to me on a week long cruise. As it stands, I will probably just buy water for the room and get 1-2 fancy coffees a day ala carte and not sweat it. 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

would agree with you...if the specialty dining food was outstanding. It's simply not

Hmm, I can't say I agree with you. We've had some outstanding meals at all of the specialty restaurants. You are correct about saying we've already paid for included food and are forking over on top of that. That is right. But we've generally been quite impressed with the quality of the food at the specialty restaurants, particularly La Cucina and Le Bistro.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hmm, I can't say I agree with you. We've had some outstanding meals at all of the specialty restaurants. You are correct about saying we've already paid for included food and are forking over on top of that. That is right. But we've generally been quite impressed with the quality of the food at the specialty restaurants, particularly La Cucina and Le Bistro.

I've certainly had nice meals on NCL, including La Cucina. But, nothing worth the a la xarge prices. We make Teppanyaki and La Cucina standard on our cruises. Sometimes we will go to Moderno and we did try Food Republic (as I've discussed). Tried out Cagney's - that's a big ole pass...but never, ever would I pay full price. The meals at the places I mentioned, left me satisfied. Heck, happy even. I would have not been happy had I paid a la carte prices. That's the issue, though I suppose we must disagree on outstanding food. None has been, to my husband or I. And, we are definitely not gourmand haha